Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ Winch Bumper Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: XJ Winch Bumper Project Reply with quote

After months of browsing at winch bumpers I decided to make one myself. I started building mine out of 2X2" 1/8" thick square tubing that I gathered from a metal scrap pile.

I'll post photos as I build it and hopefully it turns out nice.

I've never made a bumper before but if it turns out fine I'll be very happy about saving the several hundred dollars it would have cost to buy one.

For no particular reason I started at the corners and worked my way inward.
These are my corners:

The basic frame to build from:

A proportional drawing of what I have so far: (Minus the "D" ring mounts)

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.

Last edited by Tim Hallam on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumper is coming along great, I just put my winch plate on and I have finished the actual bumper. I now just need to figure out the best way to mount it and I have to built the frame brackets.

Also, my trusted Canon D60 broke so that's why there is a lack of photos. I'll use my girlfriend's camera to up date the photos.

Should be buying a new camera soon...

Tim

Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front:

The black line is a rough representation of how the bumper will sit against the front of the Jeep and how the sides will flush up with the fenders. I'm not done adding support to the winch plate yet. The plate is 14X6 inches and is 3/16" thick. I will double it up where the winch bolts to it making it 3/8" think and give it some additional reinforcing and bracing:

These are the bottom plate supports, they're just there to keep the plate from bending with the 80lbs winch on it. Of course, there will be lots of additional braces and reinforcements not yet made:

Sawzall ready:

Tim

Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the fenders even with the bottom of the grille... I actually didn't have access to a Sawzall so I ended up cutting them by hand with my hack saw. I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Each side took about 10 minutes.

Testing the approach angle:

This hill is a good representation of what my new approach angle will be with the bumper on. The bumper will only protrude 2" farther than the brackets you see pictured. After a 3" or 4" lift the Jeep should have the same or slightly better approach angle as it would with a stock bumper and no lift. Also, the brackets pictured were just a quicky cut out that I made for fitting the bumper. The real brackets will go about 12 inches down the frame and have a few more bolts holding them on.

Tim

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! What is that decal going down the sides of your Jeep? Shocked
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was there when I bought it. I think it's actually a boat decal.... It looks really bad close up. It's all cracked and the cracks have inaccessible dirt in them. I've wanted to remove it ever since I bought the Jeep but I'm afraid to attempt doing that since it will probably leave a bunch of gunk behind.

Anyway... Any tips on getting that thing off clean?

Tim

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 works good for removing the gunk. There's lots of products made specifically for that, too.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made good progress on the mounting brackets today. Here's the bumper on the Jeep. Still some touch up to do and the winch plate needs more reinforcing. Rather than D rings I'm going to put my two tow hooks on top of the bumper upside down. Might as well use them since I have them anyways.

Tim

bc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: XJ Winch Bumper Project Reply with quote

The winch bumper is looking great Tim!

I took the decal off the hood of my truck by first pouring boiling hot water on it. This softened it up enough to peel it off. I then used a solvent (i believe it was rubber cement thinner) to clean off the adhesive residue.

Keep up the good work!

Bill
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the WD40 and the bumper's looking great. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: