Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of help needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sykopro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Lots of help needed! Reply with quote

I have a 1992 YJ. My wife bought it for me as a welcome home present when I got back from Iraq. She had a 6 inch lift put on it. Found out the hard way about needing the SYE after that and that's where my problems begin. The person doing the work didn't finish the transfer case. I put it back together myself, but I am not sure that I did it right. The SYE shaft with all the gears on it has another gear that goes on the outside of the gears. It has a groove in it near the one side. Which way does it go? Groove towards tranny or rear end? By the way it is an NP231 transfer case, 5 speed manual and 4.0L engine. On top of the transfercase there was a hose hooked to it which ran up about 3 ft and then had a plug on it. Where is that suppose to go? Then After I got it all together it drove around the block a few times with no problems. I then drove it down the road about 5 miles and the the engine started acting up, almost like the timing was off. Any Idea as to that problem? I am not afraid to tear it apart and fix it, I just don't know where to go on this one. Thanks for any help I get in advance.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for your service for our country!

Secondly, I haven't much info' to share other than take a look at kizer's write up HERE on the installation of the NP231 SYE. Granted his is a TJ, but I'm sure there is some info' you might find helpful.

Also, check out a few other links he has.

Best of luck.

Wink
Sykopro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the write up I used to put it back together, but it doesn't mention that one gears position. Since I wasn't the one who took it apart I wasn't sure, but it did drive afterwards. The other link didn't work so I wasn't able to check that info out.
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't help you with the gear orientation, but the hose is the breather hose for the transfer case. The plug has an orifice for pressure equalization, and should be clipped in place on the firewall, as high as the hose will reach.

--
Regards,
Kári.
Sykopro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bit of info that I can get is a great help. Now know what that hse is for. Thanks for that much. Any info that I can get from anyone is a great help.
Sykopro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anybody know how to test the computer? Also, can I adjust the timing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: