Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear change on 78 cj5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old78-5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Gear change on 78 cj5 Reply with quote

I recently had my gears changed in the front and rear differentials from 3:54(stock) to 4:10.
I have 33 inch tires on the jeep.
After the change, I noticed when going from first to second gear there is a vibration that seems to resonate through the exhaust making it sound louder than it used to. Also, when I let off on the throttle, the jeep slows itself down, like it's being held back. It used to roll much easier on it's own in neutral, now there seems to be a resistance and won't roll. My gas mileage seems worse.

Is this normal after a gear change?
Are the new gears so tight that they need a break in period?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vibration is most likely due to the gears not being set correctly. There are shims that adjust lash, it's not easy to set and takes special tools to do it. It also doesn't take much to be out of spec.
I wouldn't drive it to much, the gears are not meshing correctly and could over heat your ring and pinion and could make things even worse.

As far as how your jeep drives with lower gears, that's typical for it to slow down quicker by it's self while in gear, but it should coast the same as before if your in neutral, again, this may be due to the gears not be set correctly.
Gas mileage will suffer simply because you are slowing down your odometer and your speedo, plus your engine is turning higher RPMs, and again gears not being set right will adversely affect MPG.

After you get the gearing fixed, buy or borrow a GPS (even a cheap one will do) and check your speedo and odometer to see how far off they are, you can even do a MPG check.

Good luck to you.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Old78-5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Gear change on 78 cj5 Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, TJ Apex. I knew it just didn''t seem the way it should be.
I will go back and get it checked out.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem..... Wink

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: