Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheorkee cranks but doesn't start & stumbles at idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Cheorkee cranks but doesn't start & stumbles at idle Reply with quote

I am posting here, because I am guessing this is not a Cherokee specific problem & most likely a generic problem that would appear on any 6cyl engine.

So...my girlfriends Cherokee starts most of the time. Well, it is getting much more often the problem arrises now. This usually happens after sitting for some time, it will crank and not start. Usually when it does start, I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep reving the engine as it will not idle if I let off the accelerator. Reving it for a several seconds seems to cure the problem. If I don't do that it will stumble and die.

Once started it runs fine and starts fine. But if left to sit for a while (like after work or in the morning when going to work), when returning it will crank & not start. I hear the fuel pump run before starting so I know that is working. So far the only thing I have tried is unplugging the Crank Position Sensor, cranking the engine, & plugging it back in to try again. As far as I can tell, that has done nothing for me. Still sits & cranks. The only thing I have had work & it may just be a coincidence is to floor it & crank it over. The few times I have tried that it has work. But may be a total coincidence in its attempt to confuse me Confused

My search of the threads has found some items to look at: CPS, Throttle Position Sensor, I think some air flow meter, O2 sensors, & several other things. Problem is after everyone suggests stuff, there is almost no reply back as to this fixed it.

So, what are your thoughts as I have not really had time to test anything yet, nor do I have the tools to test it. I'll have to take it to a friends to test & thought it would be good to have some ideas of what to test, how to test it, and what to look for Very Happy

Thanks,
Tim
Winch
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
Air System Purchased and in the works
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: