Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front uneven after OME install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smentzer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Front uneven after OME install Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently completed installing OME springs and shocks on my 02 TJ Sport.

After install, (i double checked to put the correct springs on the correct side, AB in front, BA in back because frankly i could barely tell any difference in length), the front passenger side is about 2" higher as measured from the fender to the ground.

I also installed JKS quick disconnects.

The question is; do I adjust the disconnects to be exactly the same size, in which case, the sway bar will level the front out a bit, or is that a bad idea (maybe because it will preload the passenger side spring), and should I adjust them to be different sizes to match the spring height?

I want to let the springs settle a bit before I worry about getting any OME spring shims/spacers to level it out; is that a good idea, or should I get it leveled right away?

Thanks!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact OME and see what they say about it. Is the rear sitting where it should be? You want the disco's to be the same length. I would add the lift amount to the stock sway bar link length and adjust the disco's to that measurement.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-loading your sway-bar is a bad idea. First, discos are not designed to withstand constant loads, if you pre-load them to level your ride height; you’re going to affect more than just ride height. You’re going to affect the weight balance and you will have an ill handling TJ when you turn.
Here’s why; one disco will be pulling up, and the other pushing down, this will affect the spring rates, making one side stiffer and the other softer.

Orange is correct with just adding your lift height to your discos, but, also, when setting your disco length, first make sure that you are on level ground, then, the section of the sway-bar that connects to the disco should be parallel to the ground, this is true for any type of sway-bar, no matter what your ride height is.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd look to the back springs and make sure everything is okay. rear springs affect your front height more than people would think... (maybe rear left and rear right need to be swapped?)
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
the section of the sway-bar that connects to the disco should be parallel to the ground, this is true for any type of sway-bar, no matter what your ride height is.

This is not true. Even on stock Jeeps, the sway bar is angled slightly upward. I think it's supposed to be 10-15 degrees tilted up. If measured, like I mentioned, it will be where it needs to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: