Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space between speaker bar and hard top

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smentzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Space between speaker bar and hard top Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a 2002 TJ with a soft top. I have installed a GPS, and currently the antenna is on top of the speaker bar under the covering.

I am thinking of getting a hard top, but the gps antenna (and a XM radio antenna, but its smaller) sticks up about an inch higher than the speakerbar would by itself.

The question is; how much room is between the speaker bar and a hard top? Will I need to remove the antenna and find another spot for it before I get a hard top?

Thanks!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 02', I also have Sirius, and the sound bar is a perfect place for the sat. radio antenna. 04í and newer TJís have a different setup and canít place anything there.
A friend of mine has a 04' with a hard top, and there isn't much room between the sound bar and the top, sorry I canít give you a dimension, but the sat radio antenna should be ok, but you might need to move the XM antenna, as the antenna might not receive the signal due to the hard top. Thatís one thing that sucks about sat. radios is that when you go under an overpass or an area that has dense trees the signal doesn't get thru. As far as GPS antenna, you must have a lowrance or some type of large GPS if you have an external antenna. I have seen guys mount the antenna on an aftermarket tire racks.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard top on my 04 was very tight to the rollbar with padding. I could jam a beanie in there to store a hat for the winter months but there wasn't a whole lot of room. If your GPS and XM antennas are similar to the Sirius antenna I've used (flat pancake style about 1 cm in height at the most)...you shouldn't have a problem with the hard top. If they are taller, you may and might want to start thinking about a new location for them.
azcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was thinking about getting Sirius for my '99 TJ, I looked around for antenna mounting locations. I also have a hardtop. A friend of mine has a slightly newer Rubicon model. He mounted the antenna either in the center of the vent cowl panel just below windscreen or on the trailing edge of the hood. Good location, doesn't have to worry about poor reception with the hardtop on, clearance, or disconnect/reconnect of the antenna cable when removing the hardtop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: