Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jeep Cherokee owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahoo6633

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: New Jeep Cherokee owner Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a 2000 Cherokee with 200,000 miles on it and have a couple of questions. I noticed that when I run the heat there's a fine mist coming out of the vents, I've had other cars that did that and it always indicated a bad heater core, my next question is when I come to a stop it feels like the driveshaft slops a little bit but I can't tell if it is the shaft or maybe the rear brakes. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the heater core, it has air conditioning that works.

Thanks
Chris
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, your heater core is leaking. If it is as bad as you say it is, pay real close attention to the radiator coolant level.

Heater cores are difficult to re-place on just about every car. What makes it a hard job is, there’s not a lot of room to get tools and hands where you need them to be, and have to (on most cars) remove the dash, and whatever else is in the way just to get at it.

You can get can underneath and grab the drive shaft and try and move it side to side and see if there is slop in the u-joints. U-joints are cheap to replace. If you just bought the Jeep, one of the first things you should do is check the brakes, tires, change the oil, even if the person told you they just changed it, do it anyway.
Hope this helps….

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Joh's jeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Jeep Cherokee owner Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 97 Cherokee. Had it fixed in a shop, and it wasn't cheap, I think around $ 1500 (I had some other little things done at the same time, hence it's hard to say). They have to lower the entire dash to get to the heater core. You probably should get it fixed, because the coolant coming out of the air vents as an aerosol is not good your health... ...and also, if it gets stronger, you will have a hard time to get your windows clear when there is rain....

Johannes

wahoo6633 wrote:
Hi, I just bought a 2000 Cherokee with 200,000 miles on it and have a couple of questions. I noticed that when I run the heat there's a fine mist coming out of the vents, I've had other cars that did that and it always indicated a bad heater core, my next question is when I come to a stop it feels like the driveshaft slops a little bit but I can't tell if it is the shaft or maybe the rear brakes. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the heater core, it has air conditioning that works.

Thanks
Chris
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slop may be from the leaf springs getting old. If you step on the brakes hard the rear will rise a bit. If you let off a little and it feels like it's sliding down to normal height then that's the springs. They don't last long, I replaced them a few years ago on my 99 and I need new ones again. The one thing I really liked about the Grand Cherokee I had was the rear coil springs.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
wahoo6633

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I never thought about the rear springs. Do you know of a place to buy rear springs for a cherokee?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you buy a good set of aftermarket ones I've read that the best bet to keep the decent ride is to go with the OEM towing package ones. I think they are listed as HD. If you do a search here there is a few other options including leafs from an s10.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: