Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xj operating temps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
azurevirus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: xj operating temps Reply with quote

I havent owned a jeep since the cj was the one to have..now Im thinking about geting another one only this time a 2000 xj cherokee 4.0 auto..Ive done some research and find that alot of ppl who own these have had problems overheating..I tried out the 2000 xj today and it went fron startup to 215 degrees in a half mile..that scared me to the point I did a u-turn and took it back to the dealer..besides that temp reading I was overall pleased with the jeep..I googled jeep 4.0 oveheaating and alot of ppl seem to have this particular problem..some have just threw money at it and replaced everything and then some at the problem only to end up with the same problem..is there an inherent problem with the 4.0 jeep engine ?..maybe I should be lookiing at a different make of 4wd vehicle..dont mean to be a moaner/groaner but if I do get this jeep I want to "jeep" it out with all the goodies..not worrying about how to get it to run correctly..thanks for any suggestions
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some problems with the flow on certain years. But I'm not sure where you get this blown out of proportion thinking that it's a motor issue? If it were a motor issue they would not have continued to install the 4.0Ltr in virtually every Jeep rig up until what, late 2007 or so? The motors run nominally at 210F anyway. I think this was to meet emissions more than anything. But we have 190k miles on the wife's XJ with very little cooling problems (let alone anything else). She wrecked it back in '03 and considering the damage to the other vehicle, her XJ wasn't nearly as bad and was repaired. The other car was unrecognizable (I kid you not).

If it bothers you that much, maybe a simple upgrade like THIS ONE might do? I'd consider your local emissions restrictions though. Here that temperature difference would keep it from passing emissions. And I assure you, the XJ wheels quite well. Especially with some mods like a lift and larger tires. Although I can understand your concern, I don't quite understand judging a rig purely by one system function or shortcoming. The good things about it far outweigh that IMHO.

No rig is without some sort of flaw. My TJ has the same motor and also runs at 210F. It's not been any problem at all for it both on/offroad.

Good luck.
azurevirus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTjn..thanks for the reply..like I said the last jeep I had was a cj many yrs ago and dont remember any overheating prob with it..it was just really underpowered..When I read about 4.0 engines overheating and then tried out the xj I just assumed this was going to be a 5500.00 problem child..really didnt read anything I can rem of the 4.0 running 210-215 as a more or less normal operating temp..I just figured with the overheating complaints I did read and with oversized tires I plan on adding if I bought the xj and the wicked tn heat this time of yr..and driving down slow trails. w/ ac on full blast...I was going to get plenty of overheating problems..just didnt want this on a vehicle that is gonna cost me this much money (5500 plus prob another 3-3500 in accessories)..now your article explains alot of upgrades which is fine with me as long as it addresses the heating problem..Im supposed to go talk to the dealeer again today..what got me when trying it out was how quick it hit 210-215 from a cold start..definately not like my old ford truck for sure..thanks again for answering my post
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the cooling system is not quite adequate in a Cherokee... any Cherokee. If it is stock and your not pulling a load uphill, it should be fine. But as soon as you put a little more load than just your Jeep and a tiny bit of cargo, it can start to overheat. Pulling even a small trailer uphill(or 4 adults and all their luggage) will cause it to get well up to 250+ unless you stop and rest.

I was one of those idiots who tried all the different things to fix the problem... Hesco water pump, high flow thermostat housing, 3-core aftermarket radiator, dual fan conversion... everything.

Now, I am going back to everything stock except the radiator. The 3-core brass is crap. I will be installing a Ron Davis radiator. A Griffin would be equally good. Basically, all the stock stuff is fine except the radiator. With a high quality aluminum radiator it should take care of all of that. So with all the money I spent on all that other crap, I should have just spent the same amount on just the radiator. (I don't regret the silicone hoses, though... with all the overheating my Cherokee has done, they have never failed or leaked).

I have read a few reviews of people who replaced their radiators with a high quality (expensive) radiator, and it took care of the problem in each of those reviews. They can now keep the pedal to the metal on an uphill grade and it will stay at 210 forever.
azurevirus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave...if running hot is a problem with cherokees that expains alot..as the dealer who has the one Im interested in has like 7 Cherokees on the lot for sale..Im still thinking on buying this one but at the same time keeping my eyes open for anything else..Ive cked on several dealerships to see what they have and there r several dealers with 4wd trucks and a couple of those nissan Xterras or whatever they are called..I had planned on the cherokee with as much goodies as I could put on it..even a winch ..and I will be pulling an 18' ft camper on occasion..needless to say Im having second thoughts, maybe I should consider a v8 powered machine
bironfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeep overheated constantly...now, completely stable in 40 deg C.
Temp average on aftermarket temp guage is 90 deg c.
Factoy temp guage is crap.
New Radiator cap...could fix everything for $10.00 , system must be under pressure to opperate correctly or will overheat.
New waterpump.
New 180 deg thermostad.
2 small holes have been drilled to the top of the thermostad flange to allow the trapped air in the engine to escape durring filling of the system.
This should happen on its own with the cycling of the cooling system from cold to hot and back but i had no joy..trapped air is serious..
New Fanclutch ..heavy duty ..more revolutions per minute as radiator heats.
Replacing these parts has completely illiminated any problems with my cooling system
bironfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bironfish wrote:
My jeep overheated constantly...now, completely stable in 40 deg C.
Temp average on aftermarket temp guage is 90 deg c.
Factoy temp guage is crap.
New Radiator cap...could fix everything for $10.00 , system must be under pressure to opperate correctly or will overheat.
New waterpump.
New 180 deg thermostad.
2 small holes have been drilled to the top of the thermostad flange to allow the trapped air in the engine to escape durring filling of the system.
This should happen on its own with the cycling of the cooling system from cold to hot and back but i had no joy..trapped air is serious..
New Fanclutch ..heavy duty ..more revolutions per minute as radiator heats.
Replacing these parts has completely illiminated any problems with my cooling system
..Vehicle is 96 xj 4lho aw4 4wd hd tow set..2' lft
now stable when towing, wheeling, traffic etc.
azurevirus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: ovrheating Reply with quote

Thanks Biron, I decided against getting it, just cant see spending 5k and then replacing all that or maybe more soon as I get it , which I would just for piece of mind..I dont know if any other jeep has this problem or its just this model during a certain # of years..theres tons of jeeps on the road down here and this particular dealer has 6-8 cherokees of various years..I let go by a couple of older cj models with the 304 v8 in them because they were so ragged out..at another dealer today I seen a beautiful grand cherokee but I was working and didnt have a chance to stop..he also had several brands of 4wd vehicles for sale..I may go that route..or a different brand..I dont know much about jeeps except the ones I had which was a 62 with a hurricane 4 cyl and a later model cj with the 258 I believe..only one prob with both was lack of power..no other problems..this particular jeep to me had lots of power..I will just wait , no hurry..I may end up with a chevy, dodge , ford or hopefully a jeep..but whatever I do get will be able to tow my 18' camper while sporting big tires lift kit etc..I got more research to do..thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: