Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 XJ - Light Fender and Flare whacking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: 1997 XJ - Light Fender and Flare whacking Reply with quote

After installing a RRO Budget Boost and new wheel/tire combo, I immediatley ran into problems due to the low backspacing I choose (3.75")...I began to have problems with rubbing. Just going in and out of my driveway the tires would rub on the front bumperguards.

The methods I used are what I like to call "Redneck Engineering". There are better tools for the job than the ones I used. These methods will work though. Before I started this is what the XJ looked like:

As I was installing a front hitch receiver to establish a tow point up front, my first step was to elimiate the front valance/spoiler. This was done by removing the factory foglights/housings and then drilling out the 4 rivets that hold the valance to the bumper. Then I moved on to the bumbergaurds themselves.

First I marked where I wanted to cut them with a white sharpie. I then removed the bumperguards and scored the markings with a utility knife. Then I just used a coping saw and followed the groove (this was done prior to my aquiring a Dremel). The end result is shown in the following pics (click them for larger images):

This eliminated all rubbing on road (I still have to finish it off by getting some sheetmetal and making some splash guards to protect the horns...which, as you can see in the 2nd image, sit inside the bumperguards and are now completley exposed. Either that or just relocate the horns...).

The first time it went off road was a whole different story. It rubbed all over the place. On top of the wheel wells, on the fenders, I even knocked loose 2 of the fender flares:

To fix this I simply removed the flares....ok...not so simple...lots of PB Blaster and I still broke bolts. The flares snap onto a metal flange which bolts to the fender. I broke like four of the studs on the flanges. No real problem, just drilled them out and used nuts and bolts to reattach. Anyway, once the flares were off I took a hacksaw and made small 1" cuts every 2" or so in the fenders. I then bent back each section with channel locks and applied some black rustolem to keep it from rusting.

I then used the tire marks on the flares as a guide to determine where they needed to be cut back. I cut them using the same method that I used to cut the bumpergaurds (again...pre-Dremel). I re-attached the flares to the mounting flanges and re-installed the flares to the body.

This eliminated all rubbing except at the top of the wheel wells, but that is because my bumpstops were not long enough. Stay tuned...that (albeit brief) writeup is coming.

Rock On!

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: