Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 sensor info.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: O2 sensor info. Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted anything about O2 sensors on Jeeps being picky, but, I got a check engine light a few months back, and used my neighbors scanner and found the O2 sensor were at fault. I went to my local Auto Zone to buy new sensors. All they had were Bocsh sensors, I cleared the code, and after a day or so the light came on again, I check it again and got the same code. My TJ runs fine, but went to smog my 02' and and the code is still there. After telling the mechanic that I just changed them he asked me what brand they are, I told him Bosch, he then tells me Jeeps are picky when it comes to So sensors. Even though it passed the "Sniffer" it still wont pass because the code is still there.
I can't remember what brand sensors came as OE. After spending $150.+ on sensors, now it looks as though I have to replace new sensors with what ever came with it.
B.S.!!!!!!
Has anyone else had this BS problem, and can tell me what "brand" sensor came as OE?
Thanks

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, The O2 sensors are fine, Mechanic told me the PCM is the problem.
To me if that is the problem…..it wouldn’t run, computers are like a on/off switch, either it works or doesn’t. Still runs fine though....
At least a re-manufactured PCM is relatively in expensive, $250.00.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #3: After buying a refurbished PCM (for $224 + tax, $250. Total) and driving about 100 miles the check engine light came on again; check the codes and p0135 and p0155, same as before. So it’s not the computer. BTW, in SoCal the price for a PCM from Jeep is $750 + tax.

After administering copious amounts of verbal abuse directed to the mechanic on how I wasted $250 on a PCM I didn’t need and can’t return, I’m back to the O2 sensors.

So today I bought two brand new overly priced sensors valued at $130 each from the local dealership. The guy at the dealership told me that they get guys coming in all the time telling them how sensors from Auto zone, Pep Boys, and Kragen will not function properly and fail smog because of a check engine light, but will pass the tail pipe test fine. As I asked why, a Jeep mechanic just happened to walk in and answered my question. He said there are two things that contribute to their failure, one is the PCM wants to see the operating temp of the sensor come up in a certain length of time, and the parts store units take too long to get to operating temp., the other is the lead wires coming off the sensors are OHM’s calibrated to specific length. Parts store ones come with real long leads to be universal, which gives to much resistance and the PCM misreads the sensors.
Also the dealer asked for the last nine digits of my vin, there may be several different types of O2 sensors throughout the giving year.

So there you have it, word is Jeep PCM’s are VERY sensitive to O2 sensors. Do yourself a favor and bite the bullet and buy Jeep O2 sensors.
Hopefully they will work to pass smog.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed California overly bureaucratic smog nazi laws. With the new "Jeep" sensors, it actually runs cleaner.
In California, the maximum carbon emissions is 150, with the other set of sensors it emitted 5, with the Jeep sensors only 3.

I have an excess carbon credits, so I'm going to buy the Gulfstream 7 I always wanted.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for everyone's information, the pcm I bought was thru Auto Computer Exchange in Flordia. long story short, they double charged me, and has taken them 45 days to reimburse me and had to continuously call. The first pcm drained my battery in 20 minutes (thankfully I brought the original and reinstalled it) second pcm works fine.
Bottom line, If ever you need a pcm, I would not recommend Auto Computer Exchange.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Legend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Apex Im having the same problem Reply with quote

I have an 05 Sport with California Ems. Replaced all 4 with Bosch O2s My codes ARE still P0031, P0037, P0051, P0057 along with a P0072 All are a "heater control circuit low"...
Finally took it to a dealer and they said I needed to replace the PCM.... I was thinking of saving $500.00 and buying a Solo Auto rebuilt PCM.....
NOW Im not sure.
Legend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: One more thing Reply with quote

He also said The codes are Stuck and he couldnt clear them out and tried 5 times... did you get that?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YI was able to clear the codes with out issue. After clearing the codes, it usually took about 100 miles for the code to pop up. These codes are known as "hard codes" and do not clear automatically.
as I posted be for, the Bosch unit do work, but are not calibrated correctly to a Jeep pcm. The length of the wires (to long), and the time it takes the sensor to heat up (also to long) are the reasons for the pcm codes.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: