Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

**YJ FAQ** <-- New Members/YJ Owners Read This Or ELSE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> YJ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: **YJ FAQ** <-- New Members/YJ Owners Read This Or ELSE Reply with quote

What does YJ stand for?
Absolutely Nothing. It is simply a model number prefix. If any of those roundheadlighters tell you it's for Yuppie Jeep, punch them in the face. It's Hip to Be Square.

Standard acronyms used on the forum:
BL - Body Lift
CV Joint - Constant Velocity Joint (used with SYE)
I4 - Inline engine, 4 cylinder, 2.5L
I6 - Inline engine, 6 cylinder, 4.2L or 4.0L
MML - Motor Mount Lift
SYE - Slip Yoke Eliminator
SOA (SPOA) - Spring Over Axle
SRS - Shackle Reversal System
SUA (SPUA) - Spring Under Axle (stock configuration)
V6 - Engine from Ford, Dodge, AMC, Chevy - more power and normally used in a swap from the I4.
V8 - Engine from Ford, Dodge, AMC, Chevy - more power and normally used in a swap from the I6.
OBA- On Board Air (Air Compressor or CO2 tank)

What size of tires fit without rubbing?
Older YJ (sagged springs on stock rims with lots of miles) - 235/75r15
Newer YJ (non-sagged springs on stock rims with few miles) - 30x9.5r15
Newer YJ (non-sagged springs on non-stock rims with few miles) - 31x10.5r15
2.5" lift on stock rims - 32x10.5r15
4" lift on stock rims - 33x12.5r15
Don't forget that tire WIDTH also matters. The tires may fit but could rub on your fenders/flares when you turn.

Stock Specs
Stock height of Jeep to rocker panels - 18"
Wheelbase length of the YJ - 93.5"
Wheelbase width of the YJ - 57"
Ground clearance - 9"
Towing capacity - 1,000lbs with proper hitch (officially) - 2500lbs with proper hitch (un-officially)
How do I know what engine I have in my Jeep?
If you lift the hood you will be able to count either 4 or 6 spark plugs. If you don't know what a spark plug is then take it to a highly skilled mechanic.

Early (pre 1991) 4-cyl engines were fuel injected via throttle body - 2.5L
Second gen (post 1992) 4-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 2.5L
Early (pre 1991) 6-cyl engines were carb'd - 4.2L
Second gen (post 1991) 6-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 4.0L

What gears do I have in my Jeep?
I4 Automatic - 3.73
I4 Standard - 4.10
I6 Automatic - 3.54 (normally)
I6 Standard - 3.07, 3.54 or 3.73 - must verify with the tag on the axle or by pulling the differential cover and reading the numbers stamped in the ring gear or by counting revolutions of wheel versus driveshaft.

What Kind of Axles Do I have in my Jeep?
Stock YJ's came with a Dana 30 (27 Spline) in the front and a Dana 35 (27 Spline) in the rear. A Dana 44 was available as an option on certain Canadian models.

Want a YJ History Lesson? Go Here http://www.pattersonville.com/jeep/history.html
This list will be added to as time progresses. Last Update 2/24/04 by qadhafi
I compiled this list from many different sources. If you are the author of one of these sources you should feel honored. If not, then I apoligize. The owners of this forum did not compile this list, I did. If you have a problem, PM me and we can work something out.

Back from the Dead??

Last edited by qadhafi on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: