Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novel idea (yeah right)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Novel idea (yeah right) Reply with quote

Given my recent experiences [i.e. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=856] i was thinking of a way to rig a switch as a type of "kill switch" for the engine. I know of someone who did this so it is possible but I do not know how and that is what I am asking for help with.
I leave her unlocked to try to deter breakins, clearly that didn't work this time. Of course, that leaves her open to being stolen with easy access to the cab.
Basically, I want a switch that even I you put the key in and turn it - she wont start with out this switch in the right position. [think of off-road switch]... That way, if someone were to try to steal her - this acts as an override. Anyone think of a way to do it? I am going to be running 2 sets of off road lights (55s and 100s) when it gets warmer to put them on so it would just look like another switch.
i think that its a cool idea but can't think of a way to override the power like that. Thoughts? Thanks
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33574&item=2459429471

Kinda low tech, but cheap, and if they're in a hurry they might not check under the hood. The downside is that you would have to get under the hood to disconnect it. Upside is almost instant installation, oh and it will help when you are wiring up those hella's, bro.

I'll try to keep looking around for ya dude, sorry about your upper door.
EDIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33720&item=2460045288

A Hella battery disco switch. This would require some more wiring in regards to your battery cables and such, but it has a removable key (the red thing) that you can take with you.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well From what i can tell you have a 95 yj and that should be fuel injected right I wouold just splice in a switch in the wire that gos to the fuel pump but I would put it somewhere that is not easy to find and a place where you cant get to it easily like a tuffy center console on the inside double the potection if done right they will never get fule to the motor this is what I am going to do when I wire in my 305tbi
scout dana44 ft and rear
detroit locker/true trac
2 in body lift
soa on 36s
tj flares
nikon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony wrote:
Well From what i can tell you have a 95 yj and that should be fuel injected right I wouold just splice in a switch in the wire that gos to the fuel pump but I would put it somewhere that is not easy to find and a place where you cant get to it easily like a tuffy center console on the inside double the potection if done right they will never get fule to the motor this is what I am going to do when I wire in my 305tbi

qad - thanks for the help and the info - interesting stuff. i like the idea of being able to take something with me so (key) because just having a switch under the hood I think is just too easy to see and notice, then it is easier for someone to see and get to.

I think that a discreet switch place underneath the dash or in a, say, tuffy box, would be totally unnoticable and something that noone would ever think to look for.

Tony - can you give me some more info on what exactly you are going to be doing?

thanks guys -i appeciate the lookout
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever watch Shadetree mechanic? I used to watch it all the time when it was on the air (if it still is, let me know!) and they did an episode where they used the cigarette lighter as a kill switch by hooking up the starter wire so that when it is pressed in, the starter was disabled, when you get in, just pop it out.. I don't know specifics of what they did, but they were really good at everything and with some advice from an electronical type folks, you should be able to do something similar easily (if you got the cigarette lighter and don't smoke!)..
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a remote switch from Summit Racing part #FLA-FR1003-2. You do need a hole in the firewall for this one. Its a push/pull switch.

This is on the same idea. Something like this could be mounted on the driveshaft tunnel in easy reach.

Very Happy

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: