Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trackbar install/setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Trackbar install/setup Reply with quote

OK, so I'm installing the lift in the TJ tommorrow. Components are as follows:
2.5" OME HD springs
OME shocks
2" Front bumpstops
1.5" Rear bumpstops
JKS Adjustable Front Trackbar
RE Adjustable Rear Trackbar
1" T-case drop
JKS quicker discos

The only thing that concerns me are the trackbars. The instructions that came with the front bar are decent...but the instructions that came with the rear bar are...well...non-existent (It's the RE1620 bar and there's no downloadable instructions for that bar on RE's website either...I checked). I've got a decent grasp on the installation/setup process of the bars, but I'd love to hear any tips, advice or gotchas that you guys have.

TIA

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a major PITA, as far as the front, take off both bolts, then beat the hell outta the trackbar bolt on the frame side with a pickle fork and a big big BFH.. then, while all of your components are installed, except for the trackbar, turn on the jeep and have a buddy stand in front and turn the steering wheel fully to the right side, then left, then right, then left a few times and when you return to center, not of the steering wheel, cause it will be off, but center as in the tires are straight and are tucked under the flares evenly, have your buddy tell you and turn off the Jeep.

Now simply bolt up the front and you are done (you adjust it to make it reach from axle to frame side). Tighten the hell outta the frame side, or you will hear a clunk when turning your steering wheel and torque the axle side.. I think the frame side gets 74ft. lbs. or something, whatever it is, tighten the hell outta it..

The rear is fairly simple, remove the old. Install the bracket on the rear axle side, this will be a pain to drill and install, but take your time and do it right! Make sure the bolts are tight, then adjust the rear tbar and install... If you aren't using a rear bracket for some reason (not sure if it's used with the rear adj. tbar) then disregard that part..

Good luck and just take your time!
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember about the front springs, LH goes on the RH but not on the rear!
Take pic's. Save yourself some time now and assemble the OME shocks tonight, they are a PITA and you need a good solid bench vice, make sure you fit the washers, there is a shoulder on one end and a circlip on the other, the washers do fit, just. When you're getting the springs in look out for the brake lines and dont let the axle drop too low or you risk damaging the differential bearings.

Removing the front shocks.

Make sure you have the correct size spanner (wrench) for the front trackbar. Make sure it's as tight as hell.

Have fun, hope it goes well for you.

Mike
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! What you described for the front is what I expected. Oh yeah, the rear does not use the bracket...so it's just fit, adjust and tighten.

As far as the springs, the instructions have proceedures for RHD and LHD vehicles...basically the taller spring (one is slightly taller than the other...I checked) goes on the driver side. I'll be using a spring compressor, so I'm not too concerned about dropping the axle too low.

I also got the bar pins in the shocks pretty easily using a little dishsoap and channel locks...saving me a trip out to the garage to use the vise.

On a final and happy note...we came home from dinner tonight and found that UPS had delivered the new wheels! So I should be able to get it fully installed with the new tires by tommorrow night! WOOHOO! thumbs

I've got everything sprayed down with PB Blaster and soaking. I'll hit it all again in the morning before I start tearing it all apart.

I've already got two cameras ready to go for this one...so there should be plenty of pics!

Thanks again for all your input!

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to drill out the frame side hole for the front tbar? Just curious because the RE one requires enlarging the hole and I just wanna know what my options are if I ever want to replace it. Thanks Mr. Green .
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Do you have to drill out the frame side hole for the front tbar? Just curious because the RE one requires enlarging the hole and I just wanna know what my options are if I ever want to replace it. Thanks Mr. Green .

Yup. The JKS tbar requires that the frame side hole be drilled out to 9/16".

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: