Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogging and hesitation under a cold start

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Yesterday my Jeep did the bucking deal everytime I used it. I started it 4 different times while doing errands and each time it had the issue until hitting operating temperature. I monitored as much as possible with my Scanguage but nothing abnormal. For the record it's been 32 degrees or below here recently. So, heading out for work I hit the remote starter. I get in, turn the key and get ready to put it in gear and ding, the check engine light came on. My Scanguage lists p0135 which is the upstream O2 sensor. When you have an O2 sensor problem the car will run in Open loop * mode which is what my Scanguage listed. It stayed in Open loop the whole way home and never had the bucking issue. Hopefully I have found my root cause. I did not think an O2 sensor would make the car run so badly but while googling the code someone listed that the upstream one can significantly affect how the engine runs. So, I will order a new one and monitor the loop condition to see if the problem returns and post back.

* For those of us who do not know Open loop/Closed loop: When the engine is warm and O2 sensors working properly it should be in Closed loop which means the computer is using the sensors to control fuel mixture. Open loop is only when cold, under hard acceleration or you have a sensor issue. When in Open loop the computer uses a pre-defined set of info to control fuel mixture instead of changing on the fly.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: replaced Reply with quote

I replaced the o2 sensor and took it for a ride. So far so good when it hits closed loop. Will post in a week.

dancerman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an adventure you are having. Hope you got it this time.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: bucking Reply with quote

It has been a rough ride but it looks like I found the culprit.... finally. It took the computer a few miles to adjust to the new O2 sensor but now it goes into closed loop much quicker than the old one and no bucking. I never would have guessed an O2 sensor could make the car run that badly.

jeepkid2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUZZELING; ANYTHING BESIDES GOING TO THE STEALERSHIP FOR THE SCAN, I DON'T KNOW. IF THE DISTRIBUTER HAS A WORN OUT BEARING, THE CAP WOULD HAVE SHOWN UNEVEN WEAR; OR CRACKING, BUT THEN IT WOULD ALWAYS RUN BAD
IN THE OLD DAYS A LOST SPRING IN THE DISTRIBUTERS SPARK ADVANCE WOULD CAUSE ALL KINDS OF @%##$^# PROBLEMS . I USED TO USE THE 327 CHEVY SPARK ADVANCE SPRINGS AND USE SIDECUTTERS ON ONE OR BOTH SIDES TO SPREAD THE SPRINGS VERY VERY LITTLE 'TILL IT RAN RIGHT. THAT CAUSED IT TO WIND UP LONGER BETWEEN SHIFTS...
jeepkid2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that's it; I remember these kids had a problem with that; I always heard a Catalitic converter needed an O2 Sensor; I had also heard always never remove the catalitic beacause it will affect the performance due to an O2 sensor and may not even run but mine is SEE THROUGH and I have no problems with performance. Screens are burnt out...

'91 Cherokee Loredo 4.0 Auto
Had an '88 Cherokee with 280,000 4.0 Auto

Both run / ran Good
Entropy762

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 99 Cherokee has the same problems. I'm pretty sure it's the O2 sensor (experience from other rigs). What's involved in replacing the O2 sensor and how much do they cost?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: o2 Reply with quote

It's simple to replace. Cut the old wire at the o2 sensor and stick a deep well socket on there. Twist it off and replace it. I heated the car to operating temp first. I bought an aftermarket one for $50 and all is good in my XJ now.

Doja Dank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been happening to my 85 wagoneer, I have been unable to drive it for almost 2 weeks now. I have replaced cap rotor wires plugs, checked commpression, timing, replaced the o2 sensor, blew out the gas lines, and checked the gas in the tank for water and other impurities. And nothing has worked. It is not bucking as much sence I changed the o2 sensor, but now my engine is idling weird. I will start it up, and it will warm up regular, but once I put it into gear and TRY to drive off (while on a test drive) the engine bogs down to almost stalling, then when I take it out of gear it will idle at around 2 grand. If I just leave it be it will stay at around 2 grand, if I turn it off, then start it again, it will idle at the right idle of around 7-8 grand. But I have also noticed that when it is idling right, if I press the brakes, 5-10 times the engine will die. But if I do that while it is idling high, the engine will rev up and up and up till I stop pressing the brake peddle. I have also noticed that when I rev the engine up with it in nutral the temp gauge will fluctuate. I have never noticed the temp gauge move over 110 now it will fall to 0 then bounce between that and the center which I belive is 220. My next thought is my fuel pump, But I am broke, so I don't want to just go out and buy a new one. Any other Ideas? I wish it was the o2 sensor, I have already spent over 200 just to try and get my rig to work. And I can't even make it to Work. Also I noticed that when I removed the #5 spark plug there was oil in the threads, and I have a little dripping on my manifold. I have looked and looked but can find no leak. And I am not missing any oil. Could this have anything to do with it? Now I am just rammbling so I will let you get back to what ever it was that you where doing. Thank you for your time, any and all input would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: