Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrangler X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Wrangler X Reply with quote

Is this new Wrangler available as a "2"wd? In the fine print on the commercials it says something about a Wrangler X 4x2 model? Does DC and Jeep need some more Monistat? We've already got non- "trail rated" crap like the Compass and the Patriot. Does this lead to the 4x2 Wrangler X not being "trail rated" either? Will someone please show me a quote from DC saying that all Wranglers will be 4x4 and have 2 speed transfer cases. Then again, I haven't really heard DC advertising the 4x2 wrangler heavily. Help me get the facts straight.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the JK is available as a 2WD. The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee were offered this way also. It's not really anything different than what's been done in the past.

The Trail Rated gimmick is nothing more than a gimmick. I could care less what they slap that sticker on.
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the whole trail rated thing is a bunch of garbage- they didn't start that mess up until they started letting the Nazis start calling the shots. I guess I'm upset with the whole direction that the marketing dept is taking the whole company. You mention the Cherokee--not anymore Jeep screwed that up. But you've got the Commander that looks kind of like the Cherokee (if you squint and the sun's right above you...). But the Commander suffers from the same problem that the new GC's do- low clearance, independent suspension, and single speed transfer cases. Don't get me started about the Bounce in my Jeep on These New York Streets compass. The last hardcore holdout was the Wrangler and now it's been emasculated. They neutered the transfer case right off of that thing. The DJ was kind of like a 2wd CJ but that was for a government contract for the postal service. Since they insist on emasculating every new Jeep that comes out I don't know what good the future good possibly hold for this company unless it becomes clear to the public that Jeep doesn't just stand for masculine off road ruggedness- but also the possibility of a severe yeast infection.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
I know that the whole trail rated thing is a bunch of garbage- they didn't start that mess up until they started letting the Nazis start calling the shots. I guess I'm upset with the whole direction that the marketing dept is taking the whole company. You mention the Cherokee--not anymore Jeep screwed that up. But you've got the Commander that looks kind of like the Cherokee (if you squint and the sun's right above you...). But the Commander suffers from the same problem that the new GC's do- low clearance, independent suspension, and single speed transfer cases. Don't get me started about the Bounce in my Jeep on These New York Streets compass. The last hardcore holdout was the Wrangler and now it's been emasculated. They neutered the transfer case right off of that thing. The DJ was kind of like a 2wd CJ but that was for a government contract for the postal service. Since they insist on emasculating every new Jeep that comes out I don't know what good the future good possibly hold for this company unless it becomes clear to the public that Jeep doesn't just stand for masculine off road ruggedness- but also the possibility of a severe yeast infection.

So tell us how you really feel....

Last edited by ehirner on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to the democrats to let the Spaniards back in the country....Smithers! Start profiteering and hoarding....

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

So tell us how you really feel/....

rofl
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been mis-informed by an pot smoking‘ ex-coworker, but weren't some early YJ's 2WD?
He did smoke a LOT of "wacky tabaky" during this time period when he told me, so if it's not true I'll say he way severely stoned.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that rumor too. I believe that it was in JP Magazine where I read about the 2wd Jeeps made during the YJ Wrangler era. Aside from possible export or international models, the 2wd wranglers were remanufactured surplus government (Postal DJ) jeeps. I don't recall the name of the company that was doing the conversions but the article said they had to do extensive body work on the Jeeps to replace the sliding doors and fixed hardtop with hinged doors and the convertible top as well as an entirely new interior. It may have been an entire wrangler body replacement with just the 2wd DJ frame and powertrain/running gear used. Anyway the article said that the DJ's were late 70's early 80's pre-wrangler jeeps that had been re-registered with new VIN numbers during the 80's wrangler era and this was the cause of the confusion because of the model year that was listed and registered on the jeeps was of the remanufacture date and not that of the original DJ frame. It also said that this was so economically inefficient that there were very few of these conversions done. It has been a long time since I read the article so I don't remember how many companies were doing these conversions and I don't think that there was a picture with the article or not so I don't know if the grille and round headlights were replaced with the grille and square headlights of the YJ-Wrangler. Why anyone would want something like this is beyond me- but it must have been the ultimate in poseur Jeeping technology.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember asking him when he bought his YJ if it was 4WD and he said no, because he didn't want to pay more for the 4X4's insurance.
I know he bought it new and I think his was an 1987' or 88', I know it was a soft top 4 banger, 4 speed and it did have square headlights and bent grill. I never had the chance to ride in it, so I don't know if it had a transfercase shifter, but I do remember him having the top down, oh and half doors.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that it was mentioned in the JP Magazine article that I referred to but all of the government Jeeps (military and postal) were actually AM General products. The American Motors Co. had spun off the division (known as AM General) which made vehicles for the government before it fell into financial trouble and was bought by Chrysler. As such, the DJ postal Jeeps would actually have been originally numbered and registered as an AM General product instead of an AMC product. Many of the gov't models still had "Jeep" labels on them though. Chrysler only purchased AMC and AM General remained a separate company. AM General and AMC were two independent companies that both manufactured vehicles with similar visual traits. AM General went on to make the gov't Hummer that still had round headlamps and a seven slotted grille and wasn't called a Jeep. Chrysler had no problem with this and the new Jeep Wrangler product kept the seven slot grille but then had square headlights. Even when AM General made the Hummer available to consumers and the Jeep Wrangler TJ switched to round headlamps there was still no debate between the companies. It wasn't until the combination of the Daimler-Benz buyout of Chrysler and the General Motors-AM General joint development of new Hummer branded products that the lawsuits started. Daimler-Chrysler sued AM General for the use of the round headlights and seven slot grille that it claimed was a trait that only the Jeep company had rights to. D-C had shown focus groups pictures of the new Hummer products and a large portion of the groups believed that the Hummer was actually a Jeep product. I haven't heard of what the actual outcome of the lawsuit is or even if it has been settled yet.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you sue some one for using round headlights? Round headlight have been around for as long as there have been cars! I hope the judge laughed and called the lawsuit rediculous
Now the grill I can kinda understand, But, Flatties have 9 slotted grills...no point just stating a factoid.

Next you'll here of someone sueing McDonalds for making there coffee too hot...wait someone already did that, and won a million dollars!

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
I don't believe that it was mentioned in the JP Magazine article that I referred to but all of the government Jeeps (military and postal) were actually AM General products. The American Motors Co. had spun off the division (known as AM General) which made vehicles for the government before it fell into financial trouble and was bought by Chrysler. As such, the DJ postal Jeeps would actually have been originally numbered and registered as an AM General product instead of an AMC product. Many of the gov't models still had "Jeep" labels on them though. Chrysler only purchased AMC and AM General remained a separate company. AM General and AMC were two independent companies that both manufactured vehicles with similar visual traits. AM General went on to make the gov't Hummer that still had round headlamps and a seven slotted grille and wasn't called a Jeep. Chrysler had no problem with this and the new Jeep Wrangler product kept the seven slot grille but then had square headlights. Even when AM General made the Hummer available to consumers and the Jeep Wrangler TJ switched to round headlamps there was still no debate between the companies. It wasn't until the combination of the Daimler-Benz buyout of Chrysler and the General Motors-AM General joint development of new Hummer branded products that the lawsuits started. Daimler-Chrysler sued AM General for the use of the round headlights and seven slot grille that it claimed was a trait that only the Jeep company had rights to. D-C had shown focus groups pictures of the new Hummer products and a large portion of the groups believed that the Hummer was actually a Jeep product. I haven't heard of what the actual outcome of the lawsuit is or even if it has been settled yet.

DC lost and the Hummer grill design was allowed to remain.

The real question here is what does this have to do with the JK? Absolutely nothing.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the JK come with 2WD and 4WD as an option?
And...
Did the YJ ever come In 2WD?
Sorry about the side subject, but it's a question I've been wanting to ask for sometime.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> JK Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: