Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New and have a few questions.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastlx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: New and have a few questions..... Reply with quote

Well first off I must say, thanks for the great info on this site!!! I have been searching the boards for hours now:) Anyway, here is where I'm at. I just purchased n 1993 Cherokee Country, NP242 (as I see on the sticky), 4.0l motor, auto tranny and I'm not sure about the axles.. It has 236000 miles on it and seems to run strong. It has the usual oil leaks that they all have, but it also has a knock coming from the lower end of the motor. I'm sure that it is getting tired and is in need of replacement. What is the best way to go with this? I have searched out motor swaps on these pages, but dont know which way to go. Locally, there is a guy that has a HO 4.0l out of a 1997 Wrangler that has a 5 speed manual tranny. It only has 50000 miles on it and he wants $850 OBO for it (motor only). Now, here is the question. I am pretty mechanical but I have never done a motor before. How hard are they to do on these? I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic that can help me, but I cannot rely on him. Is this a direct bolt in or do I need to mess with it? Also, with the miles that are on this rig, do I need to worry about the trans and xfer case? Should I look into replacing them at the same time as well? That is all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I will come up with more later. Thanks and let me know what you think:) Oh also, I will post up some pics of it here as soon as I can.
fastlx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 97 Wrangler HO 4.0 is a direct bolt in for a 93 XJ country? It came out of a stick, I have an auto. Any problems? Thanks!! Oh and I have searched for hours and could not find my answers, thus the post.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the transmission goes, mating yours to the new engine shouldn't pose a problem, neither should swapping the two engines.
JLS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be worried about the computer, but I am just throwing ideas out to you
fastlx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure on the motor swap? I also am looking at one from a 2000 cherokee. Any help would be great, thanks!!
kaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, which is why I haven't answered you yet, but here are a few points that occurred to me. Mind you, I'm by no means certain you will have problems with them all, but it would be as well to make sure.

1. This one is, I think, the biggie: Could you run the new engine with the old ECU? I have my doubts, particularly as the new engine is HO and the old one isn't.

2. If you can, can you do so while keeping fuel consumption, emissions and power within reasonable levels?

3. If you can't how much of a problem will it be, transplanting the ECU from the newer vehicle?

3a. The new ECU will be an OBDII unit, which demands an OBDII diagnostics connector. This would have to be wired in, both to be in compliance with regulations (I think), but even more importantly because it can help you troubleshoot any other problems you may have.

3b. Later model XJ's have, I understand, two O2 sensors, one upstream and the other downstream of the cat'. If the donor vehicle is so equipped you will probably have to add the second sensor and wire it in. You may even have to replace the cat'.

3c. Later models display their trouble codes in the (digital) odometer readout, instead of flashing the check engine light. If this is so on the donor, you would have to replace the instrument cluster to get this functionality. You might, however, wish to forfeit this and get an OBDII reader instead.

3d. The HO engines have, I understand, a distributorless ignition. This would certainly require some rewiring.

3e. You might solve some of the problems 3a to 3d, by getting the engine bay wiring loom from the donor vehicle. This is, however, no certain panacea: Many of the units connected to the loom may be differently located, thus requiring you to extend leads/rewire. Possibly you could run the two looms side by side, using the loom from the donor only for the engine management functions, but you would have to make interconnections between them to get power to the ECU.

3f. Cost. If your quoted price is only for the stripped engine, the ECU and possibly wiring loom, cat', etc, could raise it considerably.

4. Mechanical fittings. I suspect that this will be a smaller problem than the electric ones. It would, however, be as well to make sure that engine mounts, transmission and exhaust will match up with a minimum of fabrication. Also, if you are converting the engine from automatic to manual transmission, you may have to replace the swing wheel. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to tell you whether that could cause any problems.

In short, I'm sure this is doable, but have my doubts whether it is worth the trouble. And if you feel I'm being a tad pessimistic, remember why pessimists are generally happier than optimists: They get more pleasant surprises when they are proved wrong Smile .

--
Best regards,
Kári in Iceland.
[/b]
fastlx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaos.......Thanks for the reply, that is what I was looking for. I am in no way an expert, but you have brought up enough points for me to look elsewhere. Thanks again!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: