Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My beloved Jeep turns over but will not start.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
94z07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: My beloved Jeep turns over but will not start. Reply with quote

All,
Thank you for reading my post. I have a Jeep that will not start. My wife went out today, started the jeep, ran it for about 10 seconds and then shut it off to come back inside to get something she forgot. When she tried to start the Jeep again, it would turn over but would not start. The weather is cold (for Atlanta) about 40 degrees F when this happened. This particular Jeep has always been slow to start, in the morning, year round, since weíve had it.

The Jeep is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with a straight six. It has 210k miles on the original engine. (This engine has not been rebuilt.)

What Iíve tried with no success:
Start the Jeep normally.
Leave key in run position and hold down gas pedal for one minute then try to start.
Remove and clean all spark plugs. (They each had a coating of fine black powder.)
Test the number one cylinder for spark. (There is spark)
Test the fuel rail for pressure. (I donít have a gauge so I simply removed the cap and depressed the little pin. The pressure was there when I pressed the pin and pressure returns when the engine is turned over.)
Check all fluid levels.
Try starting with oil fill cap removed.
Try starting with no air filter installed.

Is it possible that when the engine is started that the car is in open loop, gas is dumped into the cylinders, it being cold the gas was still liquid and did not vaporize, and now I have a flooded engine that I need to let sit for a long time before trying to start again?

Iím out of ideas. Please help me if you can.

-Chris
dancerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have checked all the obvious things. The only thing I can think of is that maybe your distributor cap is arcing so the spark is not properly delivered. Flooding will clear itself with time and it's difficult flood a fuel injected engine anyway. I also live in just north of Atlanta and it was 10 degress here yesterday morning. Cars don't like that. Smile
94z07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In working this problem I've replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and button.

I'm persuing the top dead sensor aka crank shaft sensor aka ignition pickup angle now.

It seems that my Jeep's symptoms match what others have attributed to this.

IMHO Jeep should have licenced a working ignition system from GM when they went the EFI route.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: sensors Reply with quote

Seeing your Jeep is dead and not intermittent you should be able to test the 2 sensors, 1 under the dist cap and the other by the bell housing. A voltmeter and Haynes manual is all that is needed to verify these are working. It seems to me when they die badly enough so the engine will not start then you get 0 spark.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: