Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4" lift

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
provo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: 4" lift Reply with quote

i want to put a 4" lift and 33x12.5 tires on my 01 sport woul i be able to keep everything else stock or would i have to modify anything else
thanks in advance
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you almost have to have get a SYE or lower your transfer case to keep drive line angles for causing problems.

Also if you are going to take it off road, you should think about a long arm kit to help you get some flex from the 4" of lift
provo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
what is an SYE and where would be a good place to find a long arm kit? im kinda new to the whole jeep world. i wont be doing anything to it for about another year and a half or so, when i get back from iraq
donzrubi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DONT need a long arm kit to get good flex! A 4" short arm kit will give you plenty of flex especially if you only plan on running 33's!Actually a long arm kit with 33's will give you less ground clearance! And you won't have to do frame modifications with the short arm kit!!

Check out www.4x4rockshop.com give Mike a call very informative guy good prices
provo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a 4" short arm kit like a kit that includes all the lift equiptment or is it something else that i would need to get in addition to the the lift
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SYE is a Slip Yoke Eliminator - it gets rid of the slip yoke on the rear output of the transfer case. Most lifts (short arm or long arm) include most everything except for shocks. The length of the arms refers to the length of the control arms.
provo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you have all been really helpful, does this sound like a good setup? i dont wanna do any really big rock climbing (well not right away, i dont wanna break my jeep right away)
JLS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Rough Country 4” lift for $530 and it included everything for a basic lift for my 2001 TJ

At some point you will need longer brake lines. You can get extensions from rubicon express or some stock lines from either an XJ or YJ (I am not sure-maybe someone else knows) If you wheel with stock lines you will most likely break them.

You will need to drop the t-case with 4” lift negating the lift, but it will work until you get the SYE/DS.

Most likely you will need rear upper adjustable control arms when you get the SYE.

Do not install the dropped pitman arm on a lifted TJ unless you have >= 6" lift. (It almost always causes steering issues, you can always add it later but I doubt you will need it.)

Don’t worry about the sway bar disco’s. How hard is it to remove the bolt and zip tie them out of the way?

My first time out with the 4” lift, dropped t-case skid, brake lines, open diffs on 33’s I followed locked rigs on 35’s. (my first time out so they took it easy on me)

Enjoy the ride and build as needed.

Mr. Green
provo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow lots of information that i dont understand Shocked this forum is awsome such great response time
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may probably have to re-gear too but folks don't like to talk much about this because it can get exspensive.

What gears do you have in the diff's now?
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
provo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont really know. how would i find that out
provo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

money shouldnt really be an issue since i am planning on doing this when i get back from iraq and should be able to cover all expences. then i will have to find some place to go riding in texas (which i dont think will be to hard i hope)
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may still be a metal tag on your differential cover held on by a couple of the bolts. Kinda like a dog tag but it has the gear ratio stanped in it. Might read "3.07, 3.73, or 4.10." I believe only the 4 cylinder engines were sent out with the 4.10 gears.

You need to study the effects a larger tire has on your highway driving if this is a daily driver (commonly referred to a as a "DD").

As an example; if you have the 3.07 gears and you install 33" tires you'll just as well lose 5th gear on the highway. There will not be enough torque provided through the drivetrain to get you up even slight inclines with this mix.

On the trail in 4 WD low, you'll be rolling right along even in first gear (might feel like 3rd) now.

We don't know your configuration so a lot of information is missing from the equation too.

Be safe, and may God bless you. (My son did 1.5yrs in there too, Army 8yrs total) Thank you for your service also. Please take care, we can get the Jeep figured out on your return.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
provo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what would be the best gear ratio with that size tire
U.S.MarineLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provo, since you are a newb here are a couple of great sites that have helped me understand a lot about jeeping/jeeps. http://4x4xplor.com/

www.stu-offroad.com

best advice I have is research, research research. Go big and go premium with most of the mods you're doing. In the long run you will save money as you will not be doing 2 or 3 lifts, changing out skid plates etc. That's not to say there are not inexpensive mods out there, just goes back to RESEARCH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: