Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance Mod - Does the Resistor in the IAT Socket Work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane4188

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Performance Mod - Does the Resistor in the IAT Socket Work? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have noticed lately that when the temperature gets nice and cold outside, my straight 6 4.0 ZJ runs excellent with a ton of additional takeoff, and an extremely quieter engine ones I get it out on the freeway and warm it up. I believe that the IAT sensor picks up on it being cold and advances the timing. I have noticed that there are many Performance mods on ebay that simply replace the IAT sensor with a resistor (4100 OHM for my Model). This allows the timing to always be advanced and tricks the computer into thinking that it is getting air in the intake that is -51 degrees. Does this kind of mod work? I have read the sellers feedback, but is seems mixed for these mods. Anybody got any horror stories. Also please not that my IAT is not malfunctioning because I just swapped it out with a new one. Thanks for any input,

Shane
Shane4188

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I wanted to add the my Jeep is a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L

Here is a link to the mod resistor for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18HP-PERFORMANCE-MOD-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-93-96-97-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33598QQihZ010QQitemZ200056202546QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I am about to go buy this resistor and try the mod, tell me what you guys think.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT will work to trick your computer into thinking your engine is cold.. Which dumps more fuel into your engine... YOu will get slightly better engine responce . In my opinion its not worth the loss of fuel economy. (hahahah... I said fuel economy when talking about a jeep.. rofl )

You will not get any significant HP increase .. It will be just like you said.. Same as starting up on a cold day..

You can get a Jet Chip for about 2bills (maybe less if you check ebay..) It will actually give you better fuel curves and increase your horsepower not just dump fuel..

I had one for about a year and it worked nicely..

I got rid of it when I ported and polished my heads and put on a bored throtle body and Mopar performance ECM..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shane4188

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys,

Just what I wanted to hear. hearing that I would be getting worse mileage, I am probably going to opt against it. I might try it some day for fun, but no extended use of the resistor. Also are the jet chips worth the money in gas savings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: