Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wont start...please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: wont start...please help Reply with quote

i went off roading in my 95 gc 2 days ago and went thru some puddles. it stalled out and was being a big pussy on puddles it should have handled. anyway, it started up after like 10 minutes of sitting there and i left. fast forward to this morning, it cranks and wont start even though it was running fine yesterday. i cant help but think that goin thru those puddles messed something up. plus it rained last night. i let it sit for like 3 hrs, wont start. i tried drying the coil like that dude said and sprayed everything with wd-40 with no luck. im thinkin bout buying a new coil, but not sure if this will solve the problem. this is my daily driver and i really need it to start or else im screwed. merry christmas to me. please help.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is moisture under the distributor cap?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unplug the crank sensor and plug it back in
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. .And then unhook the battery for about 20 mins that will reset the computer just incase..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup it was the cap...thanks guys
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you apply a small bead of silicone to seal the cap it will help keep the water out. I've had it happen to my CJ many times before I sealed it. I'm guessing you have a 4.0. The cap on the 5.2 is a little harder to get wet because it is higher and in the back of the engine. The cap on the 4.0 is on the side and lower, just asking to be spalshed!!!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probobly be better to put RTV or silicone gasket stuff ...

if you apply regular silicone (like window caulk type) let it dry before you put the cap on...

I told someone once before to put a bead of silicone on the cap ... He used window caulk then put the cap right on.. It dried and when he tried to pull that cap off some other time he had to bust it into a million pieces to get it off..

Silicone caulk will work but you have to let it sit up for 24 hours before you put the cap back on.. Then it will make a good rubber gasket ..

Using RTV will probobly give you a better seal but it will not be permanent .. You will have to clean it off and reapply it everytime the cap comes off..

Just trying to clarify.. dont want to hear another story of the "had to use a hammer to get my distributor cap off.." rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, he caulked his cap! laugh lol
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah i have the 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Silicone caulk is very strong when you leave it on for a few months especially with the engine heat to really burn it in.... rofl rofl rofl

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were deep enough to soak your cap then how is your air cleaner looking? A 5.2 cap can be a hard to remove because of the location, which you probably already know. Once you seal it with the proper stuff, you should be worry free!!! Just make sure you don't caulk your cap! Mr. Green That caulk must have hardened like concrete!! too funny
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My air cleaner was fine, very very slightly moist. The puddle was about tire height but i was riding the right edge (which my friend told me was shallower) and unfortunately that put the air cleaner on the deep side, but luckily it didnt suck up water. When it first stalled i was scared as hell, I'm not much of a car expert, i thought i hydrolocked it. It started after sitting for 5 minutes and i got the hell outta there, didnt start a day after that. I unplugged everything and let it sit and it started like 5 hours later. I took it to my mechanic and he told me my cap was cracked (?) and he replaced the cap, wires and plugs (the plugs were old anyways) Been runnin fine ever since but i wanna go tackle that trail again but im a little hesitant since this is my daily driver and im broke. Sitting for 5 minutes in that puddle waiting for it to start were some of the worst 5 minutes of my life. Anyways, what can i use to "seal" the cap so it doesnt happen again, gimme a brand name so i can go out and buy it and restore my jeeps manliness on a pretty easy trail.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permatex RTV silicone gasket sealer, any color. Any brand or color RTV gasket sealer will work, but orange works the best!!! thumbs
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... Orange is the mac.. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: