Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Cam sensor/timing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: HELP! Cam sensor/timing question Reply with quote

My son-in-law has a 2000 GC. Last night it just died on him - like a fuel pump death. We towed it home and this morning gave it a once over.
We had good fuel pressure. However, he noticed the "cam sensor" was turned 45%. Let me explain. He called it a cam sensor - I am not so sure. It is located on the passenger side of the block. If it were an older engine I would say it is where the distributor was located. It stands off the block about 5" and has two wire attached. In trying to start the Jeep I noticed the timing was off. When he said it was 45% out, I loosened the bolt clamp and turned it the way I would a distributor to the position it should have been in. It started right up and ran smooth. Needless to say on the surface this was the problem last night. However, I am concerned he has bigger problems. Why did it turn in the first place?The bolt that holds the clamped in place was tight - not snugg but tight! If I am guessing right the oil pump is on the other end of the common shaft.
It seems like something would have to bind up to twist the sensor the way that it did.
Has anyone experience this problem before that you can give me some good counsel?

Thanks
Bruce
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to the Grand Cherokee Forum.

2000 and up has a distributorless ignition system, so it most likely is the cam sensor. I'm assuming that the sensor is keyed so that it only "fits" one way. If for some reason the hold down bolt was loose and allowed the sensor to turn, it's possible that the key also wedged it up against the clamp...making the bolt seem like it was tight.

Just a guess....

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BW Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's what the problem was for general knowledge.
It was the cam sensor. It has an aluminum casing with bronze bushing at both ends. A shaft runs through it with a gear that runs off the camshaft. The bottom end of the shaft mates with the oil pump and drives the oil pump. It looks just like a distributor housing and shaft assembly without the rotor and cap. The shaft is grooved to carry oil up the shaft to the bushing (a terrible design for long term reliablity). Apparently the grooves got clogged (they're only a few 1000s wide and deep) probably clogged with bushing material and varnish. It resulted in the shaft running dry, gaulding the shaft, and spinning the housing. When the cam sensor housing turned it took the engine timing so far out it stalled and wouldn't restart. It was about 3 hrs work and $60. till we were done. So file this FYI. Oh, the engine had oil changed every 3000 mile and only had 90,000 mile on it. THE END
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: