Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice on shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmitsch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Need some advice on shocks Reply with quote

I have a 99 Sahara with about 74,000 miles on it. I believe it needs new shocks and a mechanic at a Jeep dealership recommended I replace the steering stabilizer at the same time.

Here's some questions I need help / advice on:

1. Are Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks good? Sears has them for $49 each installed.
2. Are the shocks hard to install myself?
3. What other brands /recommendations do you have?
4. For the steering stablizer, is the Monroe Gas Magnum good? How hard is it to install?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - i haven't tried those...most of the brands i've used were tailored to the "lifted" jeeps i owned.
2 - no, they are relatively easy to install. you can replace most of them with common handtools: 13mm wrench, 13mm deep-well socket, 17mm or 18mm socket, 15mm socket, a form of liquid wrench to break up any corrosion (pb blaster works well), and some good old elbow grease.
3 - i've used rubicon express monotubes, old man emu lt's, doesch tech 3000's, skyjacker hydros, monroe gas-matic's, and of course the stock ones.
4 - i've used that exact steering stabilizer with good results. i was able to get mine at our local parts store for under $30.
good luck!
chris
Tardis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting shocks in isn't hard, until you start breaking off rusty bolts. I had to drill and tap the left rear upper shock mount on my XJ because of this. Use lots of penetrating oil, and take your time. Be sure to Never Sieze the hardware when installing the new shocks. That'll make changing shocks 100 times easier next time around.

As far as brand name goes I like Bilstien shocks. They work great on my 99 XJ, I drive fast on crappy roads, and my XJ doesn't flinch. They're more expensive than regular brands, but well worth the extra money. I bought my XJ Bilstiens off of eBay for $220.00 shipped.

Bilstiens have a 360 psi nitrogen charge and a one piece shaft design. This makes for a cooler running, stronger shock. A far cry from Monroe's oil charged 220 PSI two piece shaft design that retains heat, and wears quickly. My friend put a set of Monroe's in his XJ, and they've lasted 2 years, but he got the lifetime warranty from the parts store so the replacements were free. Bottom line is it's all a matter of preference.

TJ Bilstien Shocks on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILSTEIN-SHOCKS-JEEP-WRANGLER-TJ-96-04_W0QQitemZ190066084159QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
TJ Bilsiten Shocks online:
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?VC=710&Make=Jeep&Make_Long=Jeep&Model_Index=494&Group1=Trucks&Manf=Bilstein
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year and a half ago I installed Monroe sens-a-trak's on my wifes Explorer, now about 20,000 miles later, sharp bumps are fine, but the low rollers make it propous a little, witch is annoying.

I have yet to change the shocks on the TJ, and as far as I know there the stock shocks. Personly, when the time comes, I'll be buying OME shocks, mose people on this board that have OME, like the way they ride on and off road.

If I had the money I was thinking of the Bilstein 5150 shocks, but from what I've seen there about $100 for one.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
azcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a set of Rancho RSX shocks in my 99 Sport when I did my 2" lift. I did notice a firmer ride, but can't say how much was due to the new springs and how much was due to the shocks.

I am pleased and would buy them again.

YMMV.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Old Man Emu Shocks on my TJ before I lifted it and loved the smooth ride that it gives. I've alos added the Old Man Emu (OME) shocks to the WJ and love the ride it gives the WJ. MY vote is for OME if you have the cash, about $65-$79 depending on where you purchase. The steering stab. works great also.

Good luck

My Morning Jacket
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the TJ uses the same type of "stud" shocks that the ZJ does- but the thumping sound gets really annoying when you're going over bumps. I upgraded to an OME suspension (I'm happy with the ride) but I wish that I had gotten a bar pin eliminator kit so that I could use normal shocks that don't make so much noise. If the TJ does use stud style connections on the shocks I would recommend a BPE kit.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
I don't know if the TJ uses the same type of "stud" shocks that the ZJ does- but the thumping sound gets really annoying when you're going over bumps. I upgraded to an OME suspension (I'm happy with the ride) but I wish that I had gotten a bar pin eliminator kit so that I could use normal shocks that don't make so much noise. If the TJ does use stud style connections on the shocks I would recommend a BPE kit.

OME used to supply their own version of BPEs. They now use bar pins that are molded in with the bushings.
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner- Does that mean that the TJ (and your LJ) does have shocks w/studs? My ZJ is the first (and only) vehicle that I've owned with a coil spring suspension and it's the only one that I've owned with stud style shocks. Is it "a Jeep thing" that they use this type of shocks on their coil suspensions? I don't see any advantage- from a production standpoint- to using shocks with studs. Maybe they think that the bushings will wear out before the warranty expires and with studs they won't have to pay for replacement shocks.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJs use the hoop style shock mount on all shocks except for the front upper mounts. Those are a stem style. The rear upper and front lower utilize a bar pin that is bolted to the shock mount. The rear lower uses a bolt through a double shear bracket. This functions identical to a bar pin eliminator.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would a guy go about boiling-down all this fine and varied information about shock absorbers? My '06 Unlimited is 1 year old tomorrow and with 11,000 miles on the clock it feels like the factory shocks have seen better days. If money was no object, what shocks would be the best for stock suspension and no hard-ass off-road driving?

I've been told everything from Rancho 9000 to OME to Bilstein to Fox to I don't remember what else.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same question i have a 00 sahara no lift and i was gonna go with skyjacker they were an excellent price but only catered to lift kits Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: