Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

donor springs for Grand Cherokee?? ZJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: donor springs for Grand Cherokee?? ZJ Reply with quote

I am looking to get some stock springs from a junkyard that will give my jeep 2-3" of spring lift.

I've heard Explorer springs will give about 1.75 inches of lift, but I was looking for a little more. Thinking Toyota Tocoma maybe?

Anyone have any Ideas?

I'm fabricating my whole 4 1/2" suspension lift including 1-2" spacers in the front (if I can find the right donor springs) and bump stops and transfercase drop and shock absorber mount extenders. I'm moving my stock front coils to the rear for a 3 1/2 in lift gain plus 1" spacers. The whole thing will cost around $100 including hardware. Bought 31" BFG MT on Mickey Thompson rims just waiting for the lift-any idea if I need to put spacers on the wheels?

I'll do a write up so everyone can see how it turned out. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Planning to start the project this week or next.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Cooper. Former Augustan myself.

As for your lifting dilemma, I've heard of people using older F150 springs on the front of XJ's for lift, and since XJ/TJ/ZJ front coil springs are interchangeable, I'd imagine it would work for you too. I think they give an XJ around 3", so you could probably expect about 2". Also, from what I've heard, these things ride EXTREMELY rough because of the high spring rate. Hope this helps some!

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

That's what I've been told. I got a pair off of a Bronco II. I know that the ride may be a little too rough if I got them from a full size truck, but maybe the Bronco II won't be so bad. It's quite a job fabing everything, hopfully it all comes together and works out. If not, I'll just buy some 150 springs off of ebay. Probably should have done that from the start, but the cheap-skate in me says try the cheap ones first! I'll report back with pics on how I did it all and how the ride/performance is.

CHad
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Don't Do IT Reply with quote

Ok, I learned the hard way. I'm posting this so no one else trys this.

The springs don't fit and even if they did, it would not have been worth it.

Go to discountjeepparts.com and buy some springs that are guarnteed to work and will end up being about the same price as one from a junk yard.

Trust me, you will not save $. It will cost $. and you'll end up having to buy a new set anyway.

I've looked everywhere and these guys have the lowest price.

Good luck to everyone doing their own lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: