Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp Sender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtouimet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Temp Sender Reply with quote

So I got a trany temp gauge off ebay that did not come with any instructions. It was in great shape, but without institutions I don't know how to wire up the sender. It has a probe, then threads to screw it into something, then there is a plastic piece with a threaded stud coming out of the center. I am assuming that it is a topical sender. I attach a wire to the stud at the end and tightened it down with a nut, but I am not receiving any signal to the gauge. Is there a specific way these thing are supposed to be wired up? Any help would be great. Oh, there are five wires:
Battery
Ground
Back Lighting
Ign On
Sender
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: sending units Reply with quote

Typically 1 wire sending units work by changing resistance to ground which is the case of the unit. The resistance will probably drop as it heats up. You can test with with an Ohm meter and heating the sender under warm water. You should see the resistance change. The guage has 12v on one side and the sender changing the resistance to ground which moves the needle on the guage. Is the sender attached to something that is grounded properly?

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
gtouimet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I thought it might be a grounding issue, so I attached a wire between the body of the sender and the frame. This seemed to work. However, even when I was driving around town today it did not read above 150. Now I don't know the normal operating temp, but that seemed a little low. So, the two lines coming off the tranny, which one is sending fluid and which is receiving? Is it the forward one or aft one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: