Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie (Gidday). Should I get a J8 if I get the chance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

J8 or Unlimited Sahara?
J8?
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Unlimited Sahara?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

DonTom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Newbie (Gidday). Should I get a J8 if I get the chance? Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't had a Jeep before, I come from Land Rover Defenders in New Zealand. But I can't get one here in the Gulf. My truck back home was a Defender 130, double cab pick-up.

So I stopped in at the local Jeep dealer today, to look at an Unlimited. After discussing price etc, I asked him if one would be available in the same colour as the one outside. His reply was NO!, that's a military one, being tested by the local forces. So I take a look, and like what I see. After a bit of pressure, he is asking his boss about about it, and will get back to me.

Should I go for it if I can? My main concerns:
-Lack of local service on the diesel engine if the army doesn't take them up.
-How well the A/C will cope with the local heat, it goes up to 130F here in summer. Anyone care to comment on the Unlimited's abilities in that kind of heat?
-If I get one, I will intend to take it home to NZ at the end of my stint. How easy are the Wranglers to convert to right hand drive, and what would a kit cost?
-How badly will the rear leaf spring restrict axle articulation? I'm not a rock crawler, my off road stuff here will be in the dunes, in NZ mainly backcountry travel on formed dirt roads including river crossings.

Sorry, didn't have my camera with me, but will sure have when I go back for another look. It had the HD bumpers, airlift hooks, a soft top, no roll cage padding, a transformer in the back, presumably to 24V. No carpets/mats, just a painted metal floor. Body paint was Khaki. Leaf springs in the back. I think it also had the spare tyre on it's own arm, not on the rear door.

Would appreciate any comments! Cheers, Tom.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie (Gidday). Should I get a J8 if I get the chance? Reply with quote

DonTom wrote:
Hi. I haven't had a Jeep before, I come from Land Rover Defenders in New Zealand. But I can't get one here in the Gulf. My truck back home was a Defender 130, double cab pick-up.

So I stopped in at the local Jeep dealer today, to look at an Unlimited. After discussing price etc, I asked him if one would be available in the same colour as the one outside. His reply was NO!, that's a military one, being tested by the local forces. So I take a look, and like what I see. After a bit of pressure, he is asking his boss about about it, and will get back to me.

Should I go for it if I can? My main concerns:
-Lack of local service on the diesel engine if the army doesn't take them up.
-How well the A/C will cope with the local heat, it goes up to 130F here in summer. Anyone care to comment on the Unlimited's abilities in that kind of heat?

I'm not sure what the "J8" is? But if it's an old CJ-8, they are decent...but I don't think the leaf spring set up will articulate as well as the coils...stock that is. As far as handling the heat, I'd be guessing but the Unlimited probably will do a little better. But I'm not sure how well the new V-6's disapate heat vs. the old I-6?

DonTom wrote:
-If I get one, I will intend to take it home to NZ at the end of my stint. How easy are the Wranglers to convert to right hand drive, and what would a kit cost?

Beats the hell outa' me? Probably an arm and a leg and a pain in the ars to change.

DonTom wrote:
-How badly will the rear leaf spring restrict axle articulation? I'm not a rock crawler, my off road stuff here will be in the dunes, in NZ mainly backcountry travel on formed dirt roads including river crossings.

Just throw on an Old Man Emu kit on it and you'll be amazed at the difference. On the wife's XJ it made quite a difference in ride and articulation.

Oh...and I didn't vote because I'm partial to having lockers. I'd personally be looking at the Rubicon if you can get one.

Wink
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep J8:

J8 At A Glance
Engine: 2.8L CRD I-4 turbodiesel
Bore and stroke: 3.70x3.94 in
Compression: 17.5:1
Horsepower: 158 at 3,800rpm
Torque: 295lb-ft at 2,000rpm
Transmission: 545RFE Five-speed automatic
Transfer Case: NVG241 Command-Trac part-time
Front Suspension: Four-link coil
Rear Suspension: Spring-under leaf
Front brakes: Disc
Rear brakes: Disc
Axle Ratio: 4.10:1Front axle: Dana 44
Front differential: Trac-Lok limited slip
Rear axle: Dana 60
Rear differential: Trac-Lok limited slip
Wheels: 17x7.5 steel rated at 2,504 lbs each
Tires: LT245/70R17
Curb weight: 4,451 lbs
Payload: 2,756 lbs
Towing capacity: 7,716 lbsLength: 175.2 inches
Width: 73.9 inches
Height: 69.4 inches
Track: 63.4 inches
Ground clearance: 9.1 inches
Approach angle: 44.4 degrees
Departure angle: 40.5 degrees
Fording depth: 30 inches
Fuel capacity: 22.5 gallons
Cargo bed length: 70.3 inches
Base MSRP: $34,250 (two-door), $35,620 (four-door)

Get one if you can.....do not hesitate. They would sell like hotcakes in the US..........if we could get them.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14403

http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/j8_071008.html

Last edited by Orangeamc13 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12560

http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/j8_091307.html

Last edited by Orangeamc13 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie (Gidday). Should I get a J8 if I get the chance? Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
I'm not sure what the "J8" is?

Where have you been? Finger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/j8_111308.html

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14308

http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/08_easter_jeep_safari.html
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie (Gidday). Should I get a J8 if I get the chance? Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
IBTJn wrote:
I'm not sure what the "J8" is?

Where have you been? Finger

Someplace else I guess. Embarassed
dwkolb1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I'd opt for the J8...Dana 60/44 combo, turbodiesel, military look....what else could u want....don't answer that!
DonTom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Some photos of the J8 for y'all. Reply with quote

Not allowed to say which country this is in, as it is still being tested by the local forces. But here are some images for you anyway.
I have included some detail of the rear suspension setup, as this is the major difference of the car. The last pic is of a transformer power supply mounted in the back, sorry but I don't have specs on that at present.
Still not sure if the car will be available to me to purchase, but I'm keeping the pressure on!

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!
Thanks for the pics!!!
thumb up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> JK Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: