Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Bill #1639 Proposed hunting on Sundays

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ylojelo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: House Bill #1639 Proposed hunting on Sundays Reply with quote

There is a bill proposed in the state legislature to open hunting on
Sundays in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

We as off roaders and as the general public need to speak up for our
rights. Many of the clubs in Virginia, 4WD, horse, 4 wheeler, hiking
etc. change their schedule for the hunting season and go out and use
the woods on Sundays. Why should hunters be the only ones who can
enjoy the woods in the fall. Isn't this our public land too? This
proposed change in the law, allowing hunting on Sundays must be opposed.

The safety of our people is at stake. Please contact anyone that you
can in other groups/clubs and individuals and fight to get this bill
shot down. Letters to our representatives cary more weight than a
phone call. Let them know to vote NO on House Bill No. 1639

Here's the site to find your VA delegate & senator and their contact info:

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VA4WDA have been talking about this, but we didn't know it was a proposed bill.

Thanks Jay!

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me of this. They already have six days. Why do they need all seven?
unforgiven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought.....albeit the bill in virginia does not affect me personally in any way.
wouldn't this just be putting more burden on another group of outdoorsman? put in place by the same people who limit where we can all drive as well?
let me tell ya, it starts with restricting hunting, and ends with no offroad vehicles allowed!! it happened here in an area i used to live in.
it always looks bright and sunny on your own side of the fence when the law is in your favor, and dark and dank when it is not. let's keep in mind that there are others out there too trying to enjoy their own civil libirties.
ylojelo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, maybe. but right now hunters have 6 days a week during the season. I can't take my jeep, dogs or kids in the woods during that time. Its been 6 days for years & years in VA, so it is not imposing any more resrictions on hunters, rather it is allowing others to continue to use the parks one day a week. Of course hunters say they share the woods with every one, but really if you go in the woods on saturday in a jeep you really risk confrontation. and whose holding a gun?
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSO is starting this as one of there topic areas in there forums and provided a link to it: http://www.dso4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29325&sid=944e66ffbc5f331f24c6c93418150095#29325
I posted my opinion there and will post it here also.
I agree with Martin Marrison but, caution about taking stand on this issue.
There are two groups of hunters that need to work this out, those that live
in rural Virginia and those that live in urban Virginia. I don't understand
Erine position, "I to am opposed to this feel Sunday is a day of rest and
worship I feel the VA4wda should take a stand against HUNTING ON SUNDAY" if this is the way Erine really feels then we shouldn't be wheeling on Sundays either. If this measure passes we'll need to use some more thought on where we wheel during hunting season but it will also open up Saturdays to us. Right now a lot of us don't wheel on Saturdays during hunting season so we don't interfere with the hunters. The only land that this really affects for us is GWNF, most of the other hunting land is either privately owned or Wildlife Management Areas and we can't wheel in these areas.

Martin Morrison wrote:
"I'm sorry, I don't see it that way. I don't think VA4WDA has any business taking a stand on this issue. Whether we choose to believe it or not these hunters do help us keep trails open. Some of the hunters are our own members. Very few of the hunters are opposed to us. If his law gets passed, I doubt that we will be impacted very much at all, if any. I would suggest that if we take a stand against this then we are potentially creating more opposition to our cause.

Martin Morrison
President - SWVA4W"

The opinions expressed above are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the opinions clubs that I am a member of.

David Gilmore
FM2CD, Member At Large
Beltway Jeepers, BOD

I am originally from a state that allowed hunting seven days a week and this was never an issue.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the VIRGINIA DEER HUNTERS ASSOCIATION web site and thought some of the questions were interesting.

2006 VIRGINIA DEER HUNTERS ASSOCIATION SURVEY
GAME LAW REGULATIONS/LEGISLATIVE & MANAGEMENT
We asked each member to take time out of their busy schedule to complete this important member survey. This will provide our organization with valuable information about our membership and enable us to serve the needs and protect the interest of VDHA members.
All information was confidential. The deadline for completed surveys was postmarked October 31, 2006.

Which region of the state do you hunt?
East of the Blue Ridge = 70% West of the Blue Ridge = 14% Both = 16%

Do you hunt public land? Yes = 32% No = 68%
If Yes, have you witnessed declines in deer populations in recent years? Yes = 55% No = 45%
If Yes, would you contribute much of this decline to loss of wildlife habitat? Yes = 63% No = 37%

Do you hunt deer with dogs?
Yes = 51% No = 49%

Sunday hunting continues to be an ongoing debate in Virginia. The following questions are listed in order to better understand how our membership really feels about this issue.
A) Would you support Sunday hunting for the entire season? Yes = 43% No = 57%
B) Would you support Sunday hunting following the Saturday opening day of Archery, Muzzleloader and General Firearms only? Yes = 40% No = 60%
C) Would you support hunting after 12 noon on Sunday only? Yes = 33% No = 67%
D) Would you support Sunday Hunting on Private land only? Yes = 35% No = 65%
E) If Sunday hunting were legalized, would you hunt on Sunday in Virginia? Yes = 54% No = 46%
F) Do you own land in Virginia upon which you currently allow hunting? Yes = 48% No = 52%
However, I only allow family members to hunt. Yes = 36% No = 64%
I am not a landowner. Yes = 43% No = 57%
G) If you own land in Virginia, and Sunday was open to hunting, would you allow hunting on your property? Yes = 45% No = 55%
H) Are you a member of a hunt club in Virginia? Yes = 66% No = 34%
I) If Sunday hunting were legalized, do you feel that your club and landowners would allow organized hunts? Yes = 56% No = 44%
J) Would you support Sunday hunting if the right to hunt was controlled by local county government? Yes = 29% No = 71%
K) If the Sunday hunting ban was lifted in Virginia would you support Sunday as a Youth Only day (16 and under) Yes = 23% No = 77%
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylojelo wrote:
well, maybe. but right now hunters have 6 days a week during the season. I can't take my jeep, dogs or kids in the woods during that time. Its been 6 days for years & years in VA, so it is not imposing any more resrictions on hunters, rather it is allowing others to continue to use the parks one day a week. Of course hunters say they share the nwoods with every one, but really if you go in the woods on saturday in a jeep you really risk confrontation. and whose holding a gun?

But this is only for 2 -3 months of a year, not all year long. Hunting season goes from what Oct to end of Dec?

I don't know, I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, fall is my favorite time of year to go wheeling and we essentially only have one day to go wheeling during this time. On the other hand hunters do help us keep land open. But given the VA Deer Hunters Assoc survey, I'm not too worried it.

If they do legalize hunting on sunday, I don't think there will be to many hunters. When I plan trips I’ll still plan on Sundays probably based on something Greg Jackson said, I’ll wheel GW. This is what he said in an e-mail discussion about his issue: P.S.S Shoe creek is a trail that is bordered on both sides by land owners that use it to hunt only. If you want this trail to stay opened, stay out during there hunting season. Wheel GW.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence on this one as well. From what I gather, no one is asking for the VA4WDA to support the bill. So in my opinion, I think it's best if the VA4WDA chooses to stay neutral. If the assoc. is asked to take a stand for the bill...well...we should cross that bridge when (or if) we come to it.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may call me a hunter, others a wheeler on occasion, I consider myself an Outdoorsman. I can probably list twenty different reasons for and against Sunday hunting and all of them good either way. The bottom line that I've come up for myself is simple: If you start banning or making illegal to any one group, taking rights away from another, or continuing to disallow a legal right on any matter it's going to open up doors for legislature for other bans. We've already had some areas closed to vehicle traffic, foot traffic and horses and this affects everyone. Keep it all open, all the time and only close roads when necessary to preserve habitat. Anytime you can win back a right for any group of Outdoor enthusiasts it's a battle worth fought for the whole to open up our Forest. Sunday hunting will eventually pass, because historically in other states it has. It will start with Sunday hunting on private land with stipulations and then a year or two later open up to state wide. The VA Deptartment of Game and Inland Fisheries also did a study this year as well as 10 years ago. The initiative for Sunday hunting was less then 50% in favor then, this year it's a little over 50%. The people that were questioned were hunters, but if this is any indication on the trend in the state it will eventually pass. Regardless of what your passion is in the Outdoors I still say open it all up all the time for everyone.

Clicky here for the VADGIF Survey Results
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put, and I do agree...however, it does limit our choices (as wheelers) in regards to where we can go during hunting season. Not so we don't get shot at, but more out of respect for anyone hunting in the areas we choose to go into. At the same time, as David stated...it does open up Saturdays to us during hunting season...as long as we are more selective in regards to the trails we decide to run.

It is absolutely correct that we are all outdoorsmen (and women) and I wholeheartedly disagree with standing against this bill as some in the VA4WDA would have us do. We should be standing together to keep access to public land open....however this is NOT an access issue. This is about the right to hunt on Sundays. Hence the reason I'm personally on the fence and the reason I think we (VA4WDA) should stay officially neutral unless we are specifically asked for our support of the bill..

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted to OCC e-mail list
Fwd: RE: Sunday Hunting in VA
Posted by: "Lucas Cook" mudnsoccerguy@yahoo.com > mudnsoccerguy
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm (PST)
Got this from my delegate today, thought everyone would be interested.

Delegate Tom Rust <del_trust@tomrust.org>> wrote: From: "Delegate Tom Rust" <del_trust@tomrust.org>>
To: <mudnsoccerguy@yahoo.com>>
Subject: RE: Sunday Hunting in VA
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:02:29 -0500

Mr. Cook:

Thank you for contacting me about legislation to allow hunting on Sundays.
The bill's patron, Del. Danny Marshall, has announced he will withdraw the
bill from any further consideration during the 2007 session.

Thank you for contacting me with your comments.

Sincerely,

Thomas Davis Rust
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: