Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alternate alternators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: alternate alternators Reply with quote

I've read somwhere, on some jeep forum which i do not recall, that you could swap out the stock alternator for a higher ampage one from something like a dodge 1500 or somethin like that...I was looking for the exact car that I could snatch this up from and wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out. My alternators dying and I'm broke. thanks guys
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done the swap myself on a jeep but have done alternator swaps on other vehicles and its pretty easy. Like just taking a plug off and some bolts and then doing the reverse to put one back on.

I belive the 5.9 jeeps have 150 amp alternators (I would suggest this. The 5.9 was only available in 1998 I belive so it could be rough finding one). I've heard that dodge trucks that have 5.9 and some others with v10s make an easy swap upgrade. I've also heard these tales from some pretty reliable sources. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5.9 alt.. It is a direct bolt in and works wonderfully.. I can completely recharge my winch battery in about 5 minutes after a good hard pull with the engine off.. And if I leave the engine running the volt meter hardly stutters when winching..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE DE DEE!!! Razz wat a dunce i am!!!
i have heard about the altenator swap and got all excited... then when i wanted to do it i couldnt find anything on here about it.. what a dork alls i had to do was make a new topic.. damn i like to shit the hard way i guess..

what is the deal? ANY 5.9 dodge altenator is a DIRECT bolt in? it doesnt have to be a 98 grand, but can be from a dakota as well? where did you get it? junk yard? bout how much?? my "ALL JEEP" jeep graveyard part dealer likes to stiff me .. prolly cuz i have a zj. puss.. he told me 400 for a 75k np242.. i told him they are 600 for a rebuild.. he hung up...
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several vehicles that have this alt.)

The part number on the alt will be...5602 7913

just like that..

It comes in .....

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
1998 Dodge Durango
1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (limited and 5.9's)

Its not in every single one of any of these vehicles .. You have to look at the number on the alt and get the right one..

I got mine out of a Dodge ram in a bone yard.. I actually pulled 2 and have a spare in the garage for one day if I need it..(No its not for sale.. Finger )

As long as its a 5.2 or 5.9 it will bolt right up to your engine...

Oh they will bolt on to the 4.0 Jeeps as well..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA HA!!! you lucky dog, it must be nice to have a back up!!! ha ha.. how much did they charge you? did you get a deal for 2? just so i know a ball park so my bone yard doesnt stiff me to much
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $25 each for them.. And I thought that was steep for a Junkyard alt I thought..

But well worth it.. they are $160 or so from the parts store..

DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on man thanks... i was wondering.. i just noticed your aftermarket gas nozel input.. ha ha... why? just to? looks? and did you take out the lever by the seat?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable broke on me once and I replaced it ...Then one day the stupid latch broke on me and I couldnt get gas.. So I pried it open with a screw driver.. Then I fixed that... Then about a year later (maybe less) it broke again..

I ripped it right off the Jeep.. Then I bought a Wrangler fuel inlet surround and gas cap ...Problem solved forever... Mr. Green

The lever is still there.. I am going to hook it to my Ejector seat one day... rofl rofl rofl

DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwaaa hah haa that is toooo damn funy... guess it worked out in the long wrong.. i will be waiting for the ejection seat write up!!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im tryn to find out if i got the right altenator the part number is identical except the last number on mine is a 2 instead of a 3.. its for a 5.9 motor from a 98 dodge 1500

i will search
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i can find the one i got is only 90 amps so i am glad befor i bought it i made it clear if it was the wrong one that i would get the right one or cash back .. i should he charged me 40!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the right one and its all mounted in.. yippy! i like it alot.. i did get waxed 40 dollars and after calling EVERY boneyard in alb NM its the best. or 45 AND my old alte- ya... no! so ya swampy it must be nice to have a GREAT boneyard at your disposal.. i might have to hit it up if these monkeys are gonna wax me to much on my 231hd
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: