Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the 4WD switch do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leblancr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: What does the 4WD switch do? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just posted another question to this site about my son's '94 GCL. 5.2L, full time 4WD. His front drive shaft is turning, but not the front wheels.

His LED display has said "service 4WD switch" ever since he bought it last fall. He bought from a friend who said it has said that since he bought it 2 years ago. This is someone I've known for a long time and trust.

Based on all the other wiring/sensor problems this thing has (all the door wires are shot, etc), we had ignored it, but now I'm wondering if it might have some impact on the front differential.

In reading this forum, I have learned that some Jeeps have a differential switching solenoid (excuse me if I used the wrong name). I'm not certain if his does or not, and will check that when I get home. He had a close encounter with a ditch shortly before it stopped working, so that could also have an impact.

But, could someone tell me WHAT the 4WD Switch is for, and if he should change it or just ignore it. It's full time 4WD, so I couldn't think what it would do.

Thanks

Rene from Maine
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe his has a disconnect axle. But I'm not overly familiar with Grand Cherokees.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not in a zj

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leblancr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it doesn't have a disconnect axle. I went out after work and crawled under it. Looks like I'm on to the next phase of analysis.

Will check my other posting. I'd still like to know what to do about replacing the 4WD switch if anyone has some insight.

Thanks in advance.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive read both your posts and my 2 cents is your fulltime 4 wheel drive tcase the np249 same one i got and am replacing as of very very soon is most likely ca ca. seriously read the forum about 249's 242's and 231's then you will find 231 hd out of dodge trucks are the srongest and bolt right in the 242 will also bolt right in and this unit is stronger then the 249 an has 2 wheel like the 231.. but it also has part time 4x4 and full time 4x4 as well as 2hi and 4low.. the least strong and most prone to have problems.. especially the VC.. so id say replace that piece of crap! get a 242 if you cant get over the idea of full time 4x4 if you need it.. if you are gonna get down off road get a 231 hd like i will be.. either way dont fix the 249 cuz then you cant do a brake stand!! BORING!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: