Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lift without new springs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeymagic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: lift without new springs? Reply with quote

anyone know of a way too life a 99 cherokee sport 2-4 inches without getting a new shocks/springs? i just replaced mine last month and i want to lift it up a alittle now. can i just bigger leaf springs? or will that not work. all feedback will be much appreciated
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are spacer lifts that go up to about 2". That will work for the front. I don't know what's available for the rear because I'm not an XJ guy. I've got coils at all 4 corners on my TJ but our front ends are nearly identical.

You will need new, longer shocks if you lift the vehicle.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get bigger leaf springs , or blocks Rolling Eyes . if you go for a 2 inch lift get some 3+ shocks . you need shocks even if your jeep sits with your stock ones not holding your axle up because when your jeep articulates you will rip the shocks apart or out of the mount or the mount apart .

rear shocks and springs or blocks and shocks . im not sure what it would do to your drive line angles and i can only remember how to figure it out for larger axles (Over 40 inches long usually not more than 8 deg
Under 40 inches = divide the length by 5 eg 30/5 = 6 deg)

fronts should just need some spacers and probobly shocks ? if you plan on articulating at all
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for 2" of lift without changing springs a coil apcer in the front is the way to go.

As for the rear, there are a couple of options:

Blocks - They fit between the leaf and the axle and provide lift. They will maintain the stock ride, but the problem is they are the leading cause of spring warping. I would not recommend them.

AAL - Add a leaf. Basically it's a leaf that you add to the existing pack which provides lift. The problem with these is that they weill eventually sag, leaving the rear hanging lower than the front. They also have a tendancy to make the ride very harsh.

Extended shackles - A shackle that is 1.75" longer then the stock unit. They will maintain the stock ride. However then do have a tendancy to wear out stock springs a little quicker than normal. Still this is the option I would choose...the lesser of all the evils.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone explain to me how extended shackles lift the vehicle?? sorry im a newb here and i've got my first jeep about 2 wks ago and it has a 4" lift on it but it needs about 2 more inches in the back to sit level front to back...and i was wondering about extended shackles b/c i've heard of it but i never knew how/why it worked or w/e...anybody? thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89JeepXJ wrote:
can someone explain to me how extended shackles lift the vehicle?? sorry im a newb here and i've got my first jeep about 2 wks ago and it has a 4" lift on it but it needs about 2 more inches in the back to sit level front to back...and i was wondering about extended shackles b/c i've heard of it but i never knew how/why it worked or w/e...anybody? thanks

Extended shackles space the springs and axle further away from the from the frame. Because they only work on one end, you only gain lift equal to half the extended length.

For example, 2" longer shackles provide 1" of lift.
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still not sure i totally understand, maybe i'll have to go underneath my jeep and stare at it haha...where is a good place to buy longer shackles? thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shackles are at the read of the leaf , you will have to get under it and see them for yourself . is your rear sagging or just not lifted as high as the front? if its sagging your gonna want new leafs not shackles
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok scratch that last post..haha...i get it now. i appreciate the help..i am still wondering where a good place to get 2" extended rear shackles for an 89 jeep cherokee is....thanks!!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any off road parts store should be able to hook you up . the stock shackles on a jeep are anything but beefy so i wouldn't be super concerned . im sure skyjacker or some one similar would have them .

there are licensed parts people to help you , i don't think they will cost you much . there just a hunk of steel with two bushings (put some lithium greese when you install them in the bushing so they don't squeek) .

by the way can you get your leafs off your jeep ? i am guessing its a 89 . when i took mine off i broke two of the bolts in the rear and both of the front ones with a 3/4" ratchet and a pipe , this was after i soaked them in liquid wrench for about a week . and had to cut up the unibody to get the bolts out .

but yours might be different . a good rule of thumb is soak your suspension bolts in WD-40 or nutbuster for a few days if it hasn't been disassembled in a few years or you might end up torching some nuts off .
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats a good idea, i haven't tried it yet so i'll have to see what happens, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: