Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE ELECTRIC FAN CONVERSION questions please help asap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: THE ELECTRIC FAN CONVERSION questions please help asap Reply with quote

it really is a matter of urgency.. i was at my local bone yard today lookn for a 5.9 altenator... damned if i didnt find 1 under 50! i ended up goin to the u pull and i found a villager i beleive... a ford mini van and it had this electric fan.. im pretty sure its the one in the write up from a touraus how to be sure.. does any one know the part number?
do i need to take the stock relays? if not how do i make new ones.. maybe im a dunce but i didnt fully "get it" after i read the write up.
i have it hidden under the seat in an older beat up van.. surprisingly this is the only one in good shape that i found...so its hidding incase i need it
thanks a bunch to anyone with any info
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please cut and paste the relevent info in the PM I sent you so that I wont have to type it all again.. rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan info is right at the top of this page..
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/

For Relays ... On low side a standard 30 amp relay (Just look for it in the electric section of Autozone..Its about $

For the high side .. I use a ford starter relay.. (While at autozone ask for a starter solenoid for a 90 Ford Crown Vic with a 5.2 (if they sell borg warner ask for BORG-WARNER Part No: S5049HD )(or if they sell AC delco get U939 not heavy duty..but not bad either..)

By the way the HD on the back of the borg warner part means Heavy duty.. Its about $16.99

Get a good quality switch .. Either a 3 way (On off On ) or 2 switches if you want one to be Hi and one low..

I use a standard switch metal toggle for the low side and one of those pimp ass aircraft style switches .

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:E-xsoQyTwZexaM:http://site.autotecknic.com/images/products/IMG_0178.jpg
[/img]

Use at least 8 gauge wire from the hi speed relay (starter relay) to the fan and from the battery to the relay.. And use the same for the low speed.. (only need heavy wire from the relay to fan and battery to relay.. ground can be small and switch lead can be small..)
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm im sure i could have done that better im sorry.. answered my question tho

i am totally diggn you switches!!! that high is a must have... where did you get em????? i will mount mine in a different place? im sorry to be a copy cat.. but it is-- BRILLIANT!!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the switch at Autozone.. I have since moved it also.. I have an entire switch panel now.. Ill get a picture in the morning and post it..

But those switches wouldnt fit.. Sad Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWAMP BOY wrote:
2 of those relays are for the lights on my roof.. Only one is for the fan..

EMT jim Took my writeup and added a wiring diagram and more pics.. Its on Jeep Forum.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233676

Not a great wiring diagram but it should help you..

dankness---- seriously tho.. in the tech page it looks like its all for the fan... i was lost Rolling Eyes
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I should change that I guess...

DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a pic of the fan i pulled.. its hiding in an older van under the seat.. i have to hide it here with no offense to anyrace or one cuz my lady is part mexican... i have to hide it cus those guys are vultures!! i hid it good thow bwa ha ha haa!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not.. damn
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i bought the fan but when i went to auto zone they didnt have a ford relay.. i dont realy want to spend 75 on a bosch hd relay but if i have to then i will.. what year and make is the relay from? basically what are the specs to tell someone at auto zone how to find it.. thanks a bunch
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 ford truck 302 v8..

or pretty much any simular model ford..

part shouldnt be more than $20

DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i unfortuneatly have been having wireless internet problems Evil or Very Mad
but i got this relay its ford i believe it st404 it says diode supp
it looks like the one on the wire diagram u gave me and the guy assured me it was stronger than the st404sd so i should be good.

BUT the other relay i found for 30 amps is a lot different.. it is small it says pilot 12v 30a power relay and on the bottom has four plugs.. i put peacker connecters ont the plugs so i can connect wires but what wires to what???the diagram is as follow... 87 above 30 a line off of eac towar each other and in the middlie a line off the 30 opens like a door so that it is not connected then 85 above 86 with the same thing except there is a box around the open part that connects them.. i know i described this like shit but i dont know how to wire it and i sure as hell dont want to wire it wrong... ALSO each switch has two prongs how do i wire the switch i thought it was just one wire from the relay im sorry im so slow and need some one to walk me thru this baby step by baby step.. i just dont want to f stuff up with the electrical
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ive never wired a swich befor.. maybe in like 3rd grade to make a light turn on.. but the only way i can figure it to work is if it has two hot wires... so i ran a wire from the relay to the switch then a wire straight to the battery and it worked.. question is this correct? it makes sense to me but for some reason after reading the right ups i didnt get this from them... i duno maybe its known how to wire a switch.. but its new to me.. 4 speakers 2 subs 2 amps 2 powercaps fuse blocks spliters no problem.. this other stuff tho i want to make sure and do right as it is unfamiliar
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO... the ford relay i got for the high.. there is a post labeld I for ignition i believethe instructoins say to connect coil lead to this terminal.. and goes on to say if original switch has only 3 terminal do not use the i post... so this is NOT a ground right? i dont want to mess it up and at firs i thought it was a (-) for negative and i was gonna run a ground from there.. if not how do i ground it?

Last edited by DankNesS on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: