Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more stupid questions....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: more stupid questions.... Reply with quote

i was wondering..how many quarts does my tranny hold? I have an 89 cherokee 4.0L automatic...and also, my jeep has this nasty noise coming from the front end....its not quite a grinding noise, but yet again it kind of is...and its louder when im going slower i cant even hear it when im up to speed, like above 40mph i cant even hear it but when im going like 25 its really loud...could it be like u-joints in the front end somewhere?? it makes the noise in 2wd BTW...thanks!!!
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: stuff Reply with quote

My book lists about 4 quarts for just the tranny. I bet it's close to double if you want to flush the cooling lines and torque converter. As for the noise, it's most likely the u-joints in the front axle. It's a typical issue, I already replaced one in my 99. Jack each side of the front up and spin the tire with the wheel turned a bit, if it's the u-joint you'll hear it.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this might be confusing so please bear with me...i have a 1989 cherokee 4.0L automatic, and i recently replaced the head gasket, had a valve job done on the head and replaced all the other gaskets around that area, water pump thermostat, intake/exhuast manifolds, also i replaced the radiator, and all the hoses converting it to the "open" system, NOW, my motor has a very loud tap, not quite a knock but a pretty loud tap, coming from pretty high in the motor, and towards the front, i believe i have a stuck lifter, or two, NOW my question is should i be able to spin the pushrods when there connected to the lifter as well as the rocker arm, or not...because i can spin them all, i cant move them up and down but i can spin them all around and around right in their little spot except for the first one, and the third one, counting from the front, those two are solid, wont budge, wont move up and down or spin, all my rocker arm bolts are tight so im sure the tap isn't from that, like i said i think i have one or two stuck lifters but im not sure if those two pushrods being solid where they sit and not spinning around like all the other ones tells me that those two lifters are indeed stuck...the noise i hear from the motor really sounds like a stuck lifter, i've heard a few before so im pretty sure i know what it sounds like and the noise is coming from there so..any help really appreciated, sorry for such a long post!
Jim Mesthene

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning pushrods is not a recognized diagnostic technique.
Try pushing on the lifters, see if one feels squishy.
(Is "squishy" a recognized mechanical condition?)
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like..take the rocker arms off and push down on the pushrods to try and move the lifter? i tried pushing down on the pushrods but none of them moved up and down, should i be taking off the rocker arms to be able to push on the pushrod to move the lifter? thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got to have some pretty tough hands to push a push rod enough to move a lifter

turn the engine over a little so those rods aren't pushing down on the valves and you will probably be able to spin them , not that that means anything .

slight chance you have a valve guide loose or an improperly adjusted valve or one that isn't within spec

if you think you have a stuck lifter why not turn the engine and see if that lifter moves ?

p.s of course squishy is a mechanical diagnostic word . its a good one actually
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright well, maybe i'll take it to the guy that did the work on the head and see what he thinks, hopefully i dont have to rip the damn thing off again! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: