Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 Grand Cherokee wont start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gixxar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: 98 Grand Cherokee wont start Reply with quote

Firstly, hello to every one, great forum you have here Very Happy

Right now to the problem

My 98 GC 4.0 wont start, it cranks fine but wont start, I can't get a spark. It was working fine, parked it up one night and the next morning it would not start.

I have replaced the CPS and checked the coil, when you first turn the ignition on I get 12v on one of the coil wires then it goes to zero after about 2 seconds. on the other coil wire I get about 2v whilst cranking the engine.

I have checked the resistance on the coil and that reads 1.4ohms and 12komhs, the reading I measured was from the wires whilst disconnected from the coil, I get about 12v for 1-2 seconds,a relay clicks then nothing and about 2v from the other while cranking.

I also cant get the engine codes out of it, I have tried the methods that I have seen on the forum but it don't seem to work.

Any help will be very appreciated

Cheers,

Gixxar pull hair
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you should change that coil it should be 12volt while starting

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the other post.. I was typing on my tablet with a stylus so forgive the crappy short answer..

Anyway.. Have you pulled the coil wire off the distributor cap and tried to start the Jeep to see if there is voltage coming out of the coil..

Thats is not the end all be all of coil test but its the simplest way to tell if your coil is bad..

Take a screwdriver put it in the end of the wire hold it near the alternator mount .. (or any part of the engine or body.. ) and have someone turn the Jeep over.. If you see sparking between the screwdriver and the ground .. You have a good coil. If not.... Problem solved..

BE SURE NOT TO TOUCH ANY METAL WHILE THE JEEP IS BEING TURNED OVER>>> IT WILL SHOCK THE CRAP OUT OF YOU... Mr. Green

Good job with this let us know what happens..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gixxar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done all that with the coil, but I am not get any pulse or voltage to the coil, get 12v for about 1-2 seconds to the coil then the ASD relay clicks and I get nothing to it then.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a simular problem once .. My fuel pump went out.. And I had no spark til I got the fuel pump fixed.. Then there it was.. Started right up.. I thought there was something with the ASD that shut down when there was no fuel pressure.. .( I couldnt find anything about it in any manual .. But who knows..)

But better.. Have you checked to make sure the CPS is good??

Does that have a Cam position sensor??? I am below par on the 4.0 knowledge ..

Here is a strange one... Do you hear the fuel pump coming on.. I had a simular problem once when my fuel pump went out.. I wasnt getting any spark it took me a few minutes to realize my fuel pump wasnt working..

Then once I got the fuel pump working I had spark again...

Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: