Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Pump/ Pressure Help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Oil Pump/ Pressure Help!!! Reply with quote

Today was the first day I have ever drove my beast. My oil pressure at idle was less than 10 pounds. I drove it around and it varied alot. I stopped the car after driving it for like 10 minuates. When I got back into it like 10 minuates later i turned it on and had no oil pressure, i also heard a ticking noise that wasnt going on before. What do you think it wrong. I primed the oil pump with petrolium jelly as told in the manual. The oil is new I have changed it like 3 times since breaking it in, Ive used valvoline 10w30. The temperature didnt go higher than 180, i kept it under 3000 rpm's at all times

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a "different than stock" type oil pump? If so some of
the pickups on these types set on the bottom of the oil pan restricting oil
pickup... ? Hopper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Up your oil psi Reply with quote

I know this was an old post, but I had similar ticking noise on my AMC 304 with 173k miles and this is how I solved it:

After you have confirmed that you have oil, you can check to see if you oil pump is working by taking the oil filter off and cranking over the engine.
Oil will literally shoot out of the oil filter hookup. It's a really messy way to confirm but you'll know if your pump is working. If oil squirts out, then you probably have a decent or properly functioning oil pump.

This leaves a couple of problems to consider. 1.) You could have clogs in the oil galleys of the engine which are restricting the flow of oil, thus not allowing the proper pressure to pump up the lifters. For this, you can try engine flushing oil additives. The detergents will sometimes clean out the passages. 2.) The other problem could be that the engine is so worn out that the tolerances inside the engine are loose and the oil is squeezing out of places internally, that it shouldn't. It's analogeous to having a water hose that is squirting water onto the roof of your house. If you started punching holes in the hose, there eventually wouldn't be enough pressure to send enough water to the roof of your house. Worn out engines often have difficulty sending oil with enough pressure to the top of the engine where the lifters are. A poorman's solution would be to use a higher weight oil in the older engine, some may not agree but I have been running 50weight on this old engine for 6 months now with absolutely no problems and excellent oil pressure, and by the way the clicking is also gone. Smile The expensive solution is rebuilding the engine. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: