Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 XJ engine not starting due to electrical problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farzad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: 2001 XJ engine not starting due to electrical problem Reply with quote

Hi team,

I have a 2001 XJ sport automatic 4.0, 6cyl.

About 3 times in the last 2 months my check engine has come on. I did the key trick to try to get a code, but after the 111111111-9999999999 deal the car doesn't show any code, it just goes right to the mileage as if you had turned the car on normally. I had to reset the computer to get rid of the engine light every time.

- why it's giving me a check engine light ? The first two times it happened, nothing appeared wrong with the car but NOW here is the problem:

- since last week when I want to start the engine after let's say 10 hours being parked/engine off, the engine won't start.

I check the lights before starting the engine and they seem OK and this means the battery is in good condition but when I turn the key, the lights go off, engine wont start, there is no ignition or any sound from engine and even dashboard leds go off just like the battery is totaly dead !

Then I have to disconnect the + wire from the battery and reconnect it and then lights come back and engine starts normaly !

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
Farzad
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Quote:
I check the lights before starting the engine and they seem OK and this means the battery is in good condition

Not really. At that point the battery is under very light load. The real test comes when you...

Quote:
turn the key, the lights go off, engine wont start, there is no ignition or any sound from engine and even dashboard leds go off

However, this...

Quote:
Then I have to disconnect the + wire from the battery and reconnect it and then lights come back and engine starts normaly !

...suggests that the battery itself is okay. I suspect a bad or loose battery connection that gets "fixed" temporarily when you remove and reconnect the wire. I would take the wire brush to the connectors and battery posts, and then make sure the connectors are clamped tight. I would also take a close look at any other connections that could get joggled by the movement of the wire when you disconnect/reconnect the battery.

HTH,
--
Kári in Iceland
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: bad connection Reply with quote

I agree, bad connection on one of the large battery wires or terminals. Sand or wirebrush all the crud of the cables and battery post.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
dancerman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Sounds like a problem with the battery cables.

Just so you know. Your Jeep requires a scan tool to get the fault codes from the computer. The "key trick" is for 1997 and earlier models.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if cleaning your terminals doesn't work then im thinking your battery is dieing , how old is it?

just because your battery says 12.4 volts with a multi meter on it doesn't mean its good , the only way to test it is to do a 15 second load test drawing half of the cca for 15 seconds and watching the voltage and seeing if it drops below 9.6 volts .

load testers are expensive but you can turn on every single thing in your jeep and see how much voltage your battery is putting out .

if your battery is low and your starting your vehicle the starter will try to weld itself together , but it will probably brake its weld after you turn the key off . (sometimes it doesnt)

good chance you just have a messed up wire or bad connection , maybe something is shorting out .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: