Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coil Spacers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hustler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Coil Spacers Reply with quote

I have a mostly stock 2002 Apex, and I'm looking for some kinda budget friendly 2" lift. Spacers seem to be the way to go, but what kind should I get? Should I bother with new shocks as well? It seems like I can get just spacers, but I know that on my mountain bike shock stroke length makes a huge difference. Anything else I should do or have done while there's work going on under there?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need longer shocks and either an adjustable rear track bar or rear track bar relocation bracket. You will also need bump stop extensions. You can get four True Two 2" coil spacers for $80 with free shipping. While you at it, if you haven't already, remove your rear sway bar and toss it. Then buy or fab some front sway bar disconnects. All this is cheap, easy and you'll have tons of off roading fun!!!

Here's a link for the spacers and bumpstops.
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1

hustler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I dont need a sway bar at all in the rear? Wont it ... sway a lot on the road (sorry to bring up something so obvious)?
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hustler wrote:
So I dont need a sway bar at all in the rear? Wont it ... sway a lot on the road (sorry to bring up something so obvious)?

You need to keep your rear swaybar especially if you plan on 4-wheeling and disconnecting your front swaybar. Coil springs and 5-link suspensions don't have the lateral stability like leaf springs.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the rear sway bar works just fine on any vehicle I've done or seen it on. None of my vehicles have rear sway bars and I wouldn't want them on. There is a huge difference offroad, while on road I can barely tell it's missing any any speed. I've also done the exact same spacer lift as described, including removing the rear sway bar and disconnecting the front sway bar on an 04 TJ. There hasn't been any problems for 2-3 years and my buddy is extremely happy with it. Maybe going a couple of inches bigger than 2" is different, but I haven't experienced a problem yet.
hustler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can always reattach the swaybar if i don't like the ride, right? From what I understand the front one is pretty much necessary whenever I'm on the road.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, you can always reinstall it if you don't like it! But, trust me you will! thumbs
hustler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I will give the swaybar a try this weekend, and I will get on ordering some spacers. Its effin cold here now, so I dont want to be lying around on the garage floor installing them until I get a warmer day.

Recommendations on shocks? I just got my Jeep in the fall, so I'm still pretty new and don't really know too much about them. Since I need shocks, spacers, and bump stops would something like this be a good buy? http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1650

Also, how about a kit like this for the swaybar quick disconnect?
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1663
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of shocks you get is up to you. That RE budget lift would work, but the spacers only measure 1 3/4". The True Twos really are 2". I don't know if it matters to you. Don't forget to address the rear track bar.

Here's a link for info on making your own disco's.
http://www.myjeeprocks.com/features/index.php/Home_Made_TJ_Disconnects

hustler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the help. Thats a good way to do it - and considerably cheaper than the kits I found. Should you ever be in Toronto, I owe you at least one beer.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how everything goes. Cool
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:

Call me kookie call me yacky, but the "home made disco's" pictured in the link may sound like a good idea, but the pins look as though they would be loose and may cause some on road handling issues as the axle travels, plus it may add some clunking noise going over bumps.

I'm all for cheap and for home fabricated stuff, but I'd want something more solid.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kookie or is it Yacky? Sure, they make a little noise, but don't they all? The key is to get the clevis pin as snug in the hole as possible. Some people use rubber washers on either side to help with the noise. I personally use just enough regular washers so that hitch pin is really tight when pushed through the clevis. I have had no noise complaints and have been running these for over two years. Of course after a year or two the clevis or washers can become worn. If you frequently remove them you will notice the wear and can change parts as needed. They are cheap enough. I haven't had to replace anything yet, because I keep it tight, clean and lubed. If they are kept up they will handle just fine on the road.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, it's a good idea, but I think I'll make my own simular to the ones pictured, but I'll make them more user friendly and stronger
When I'm done I'll post some pics.

BTW, it's Waky

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
While you at it, if you haven't already, remove your rear sway bar and toss it.

you're kidding, right?

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Sure, they make a little noise, but don't they all?

no, they don't all make noise. and for the record, those ones will make plenty of noise.

hey apex, if i were you i'd tell your doctor you want a second opinion. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: