Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 getting massive vibrations in the wheel around 45-50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: 2004 getting massive vibrations in the wheel around 45-50 Reply with quote

HEY jeepers having a lil problem i hope one of you have had too. i have a 93 zj and i have had the death wobble that was solved with a new steering stabilizer. this does not feel similar. it does not happen all the time but it has nothing to do with a bump or acce;erating couse it happens when u slow down from over 50. the vibratin is only in btween these speeds 45-50 over or below all is fine. lke i said some times you can accelerate through these speeds and slow down through them and it is all good. we replaced both rotors cuz a mechanic said that was the problem and it still persists. think just a rotate and balance of the tires? all help is much appreciated!!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try that, but I'd first recommend you check to make sure all of the suspension components are torqued properly (track bar, control arms, etc), check for worn tie rods, ball joints, bearings, tire balance, etc.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all in good shape. for some reason i dont think a rotate and balance will work cuz it is very particular 45-50 and doesnt matter about accell or decel. any other ideas? its an 04 that hasnt been beat on to bad cuz it has a stock 4 banger that i havent swaped for a 4.0 yet so we rump my zj instead. i really dont know what it could be so any input or advice is most appreciated!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn this problem is getting worse and pissing me off cuz its my ladys daily driver... so i cant do !@#$ to my zj until i get this fixed!!! NOT to mention how bad i want her jeep to be safe but it is of no real danger the wheel just jumps up and down a bit..... i guess it can kinda be considered a miny death wobble but when i got the wobble in my zj i thought i lost a fugn tire or somethin.... thanks for all help guys!
Gearbuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this very same EXACT problem with my 98 wrangler. Only happens around 50 mph...but not all the time..It's like it's fighting itself. Usually occurs when I make a turn and hit a bump at 50 mph..it starts bouncing and if I hold 50mph it gets worse until I can't control it and starts bouncing all around. Everything seems fine... But I think something is loose..Funny...it only happens at 45-50mph. I can be doing 85 down the highway and it's smooth as ice...though it pulls to the right a bit..
adamspringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same exact problem. Did any of you find out the problem? I've had it aligned, realigned, tires balanced, and everything looked at I still have an issue with the wobble around the same speeds (45-50mph). I did buy a aftermarket steering stablizer but it seems as if it is gradually getting worse. Any suggestions???
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighten your trackbar axle mount.
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: vibrations Reply with quote

Confused Vibrations can stink things to check alot has been said if it's lifted the trac bar drop mount weld the darn thing to the frame I had a lifted zj with a procomp 3 1/2" check the top mount to the frame for the trac bar. Look at all the control arms and ujoints. The hubbearings, balljoints,and tie rods can do this. Here some thing else the axles shafts but they will give you a sound some of them are ujoints and others are cv joints. Check all shocks and coils. I almost forgot your sway bar links and bushings,and brake rotors. Ok the main things that cause vibes at speeds are wheels tires and alingment these other things can also have affect. Don't just look at one thing look at the whole jeep you might find more than one thing causing it.
BlueRanger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Vibrations Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2001 Tj with a 3.5 inch lift. It drove fine for about the first 1500 miles, and then I took it off road a few times. After that, I noticed a vibration at about 30 mph that got better as I got up to 50 mph or so. I crawled underneath and tightened everything -- no success. So I took it in to a local mechanic who does work on Jeeps, and we found that the ball joints on one side had lots of play (replaced) and we also found that the U-joints that connect the front wheels to the front axels were badly worn with lots of play. One had completely broken (an accident waiting to happen). He commented that there should be absolutely no play in these U-joints. After all was said and done, I replaced these as well as the rear U=joints around the slip yoke and my Jeep is again running as smooth as silk down the road. I think the front U-joints were the vibration problem. I'm not expert on this as it's all pretty new to me -- should be interesting what others think of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: