Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherokeeonly425

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: another noise Reply with quote

whenever i start the GC it has a ticking noise until the engine is warm... is there something going out or is this an issue i shouldnt stress over?thanks bling
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is hook up an oil pressure gauge and make sure your oil pump is working properly .

What type of oil are you running.. I like to run Pennzoil racing oil in the 20/50 variety.. Thats very thick on a cold morning I have to let my engine warm up for about 10 minutes just to be able to drive normally..

Keep in mind that you should never rev your engine til your oil pressure is steady.. This takes differing times depending on oil viscosity and temperature..

Good starting point would be Actual oil pressure gauge.. They are worth their weight in gold especially offroad.. I have been in of camber situations many times where my oil pressure was dangerously low.. And without my gauge I could have blown my engine up..

As for the noise....

Most likely it is coming from the crappy stamped steel rockers that come in the grand..

You can go to Autozone and pick up one of those stethescopes and pin point the noise..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cherokeeonly425

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent given it an oil change (i know i should) but my actual oil gauge does work though...? when i do give it an oil change i was thinking valvoline high mileage oil. no snythetic right?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valvoline High Mileage is good oil..

The stock gauge is not as accurate as a good quality aftermarket but it will give you an Idea how you are doing..

When you get a chance pop off one of the valve covers and make sure you dont have a cracked rocker.. (They will function fine with a crack .. But they will Rattle...) I have driven with several cracked rockers more than once. Mr. Green

But the stethescope thing is probably the way to go..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cherokeeonly425

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well usually the oil pressure shows it between 50-60 while running and 40-45ish while idling. but anywho i will install a external gauge just incase!

oh by the way. i put new spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor/plugs and the vehicle is still getting 14 mph max. i will get a tranny/diff flush asap and hopefully, hopefully it will make a difference bcuz im feelin like im runnin a v8 under my hood and it aint!!! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: