Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

92 XJ Help with Tail Cone Seal on T-Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigWoody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: 92 XJ Help with Tail Cone Seal on T-Case Reply with quote

So my buddy brought over his new/used jacked up XJ and the rear tail cone seal was leaking so we went to replace it. He is running an elimator kit and new custom driveshaft. Well the new seal they gave us is HUGE seems to be alot longer then the one that was in there originally. So when I Pushed the yoke up into the t-case cone the seal bulges out now. Did we get a wrong seal? They said it was a revised part.

BTW yes we did have the old pressed out and new pressed in.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures?
soberidiot22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does it bulge out like the post above me pics would be alot of help.

of the subject....

do you know anything about his custom driveshaft. i need to get a new one and i cant find anything. none of the junkyards have it for a cherokee. i was thinking about just putting a new rear end in. a GM 14 bolt. what kind of drive shaft does he have?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if i completely understand your problem but . . . .

I installed a Rubicon Express Hack and Tap SYE on my 92 XJ and had issues with the Oil Seal for quite a while before I seem to have gotten it taken care of? (I hate even bringing it up again, like jinxing myself!)

Mine has an Oil Seal (Left) that seals what would be the Cone of Transfer Case ? It fits in the Red Anodized (Center piece) piece and seals around the outside of the center hub of the silver piece (Right).

I replaced my seal about 5-6 times before realizing that the outside of the silver piece mating surface was a bit rough and was obviously abrasive enough against rubber of seal to wreck it time and again until I cleaned it up by LIGHTLY buffing it with fine emory cloth to remove any/all burrs and it hasn't leaked since (I am now keeping my fingers crossed!)

That burning transmission fluid being slung onto catalytic converter really STINKS!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
BigWoody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
I don't know if i completely understand your problem but . . . .

I installed a Rubicon Express Hack and Tap SYE on my 92 XJ and had issues with the Oil Seal for quite a while before I seem to have gotten it taken care of? (I hate even bringing it up again, like jinxing myself!)

Mine has an Oil Seal (Left) that seals what would be the Cone of Transfer Case ? It fits in the Red Anodized (Center piece) piece and seals around the outside of the center hub of the silver piece (Right).

I replaced my seal about 5-6 times before realizing that the outside of the silver piece mating surface was a bit rough and was obviously abrasive enough against rubber of seal to wreck it time and again until I cleaned it up by LIGHTLY buffing it with fine emory cloth to remove any/all burrs and it hasn't leaked since (I am now keeping my fingers crossed!)

That burning transmission fluid being slung onto catalytic converter really STINKS!

That looks like a nice setup. I ended up telling my buddy to go to NAPA and get a new seal. Its a tap and hack style SYE. the seal where the yolk goes into the cone was bad. He got a new seal from Advance autoparts and of course I think they gave him the wrong one. I have a new one coming in tomorrow from Napa that looks like the oem piece.

I will take pics as soon as I get his truck back in the garage. He has a driveshaft solutions drive shaft I think the rear is the DANA 44 rear and he has a NP231 T-Case. the truck has a 6.5" lift and a decent amount of other custom mods. He just bought it and we are learning more and more whats been done to the truck from the original owner who built it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: