Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steering wander

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcreelman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: steering wander Reply with quote

Hi all,
Good to be a new member.
Just bought a 94 YJ, 4.0, stick. Added SYE, welded in a couple brackets to raise track bars and parralel them to drag link. Eliminated the bump steer. Still have bad steering wander, left when on the gas, right when coasting, all speeds. More torque=more steer. Will be adding 4* caster shims and rechecking alignment of front and rear axles with a tape measure tomorrow, but am wondering if this can be eliminated, as this will be my wife's daily drive? BTY, someone else gave it a bout a 4" spring under and 1-2" shackle lift. Any ideas on what else to look at will be greatly appreciated. Anyone else have steering pull like that?
sdalin27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 95YJ that suffers from the same steering problem. I too have a spring over with bigger shackles. I had a shop tell me that the ball joints will cause the front end to wander a bit. take a look at those.
jcreelman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all the joints are good, bearings too. Added 4* caster shims, still have to drive it. Notice the PO has welded front side gears to make a locker. Could that cause the wandering? D30, 3.07 ratio, and looking for side and spider gears, if anyone has some diff guts lying around.
Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcreelman wrote:
Ok, all the joints are good, bearings too. Added 4* caster shims, still have to drive it. Notice the PO has welded front side gears to make a locker. Could that cause the wandering? D30, 3.07 ratio, and looking for side and spider gears, if anyone has some diff guts lying around.
Thanks

Yup.
jcreelman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, found some gears locally. Also added the 4* caster. Oh what a difference! I don't look like a DUI in progress anymore Cool Still have a little bump steer, but for the lift I think it's reasonable, livable. Now I just have to pretty-fy it for the wife. Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: