Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep won't start - battery cables?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Jeep won't start - battery cables? Reply with quote

I have a 95 ZJ that won't start. I will turn the key and all power just suddenly dies. No lights, nothing.
I opened the hood and looked at the battery cables. They appear to be coroded down inside the cables itself. I will pull the cables off and wiggle them around a bit and then stick them back on. The lights and security system come on. I disable it and then try to start it again. Sometimes it starts, other times it just dies again.
I'm pretty sure I need knew cables, but is there anything else it could be that anyone could think of?
I called the dealer and they quoted me $160 for the cables!! Anyone know of another place that sells them? I tried the local autoparts stores, but they said that they don't carry anything like mine since they have 2 cables coming from the + side and two from the - side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best bet is a you pull it junk yard... cheap as can be!! i love em now! its like a big toystore with all kinds a stuff ya might need.. i converted my clutch fan to electric and turned my console lid into a newer one with rear cup holders for 20 bucks! you can get some serious deals. alot of the grands engines are already gone too so getting to the wires is easy!!

i had this same problem so i cleaned my cables with baking soda and water or pepsi works too.... and i got em pretty clean... make sure the battery terminal connector is cherry too.. no corrosion between it and the post.. a new battery might help.. i changed to optima red top- yellow is betta- and i havent had the same corrosion problems
Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned the terminals and connectors, but there is corrosion down inside the cables - i can see it bubbling when I pour the baking soda on.
Has anyone else had to replace these? Does anyone know of anywhere online that sells them cheaper than $160?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the junk yard and your dealer, sometimes you can find great deals from your local auto parts and/or stereo shop store. I got all mine replaced for all under $50 before. Keep searching..you'll find a good store. Dealer will suck my wallet dry for sure; everything there is at least twice the market price.

I just got a new battery (secondary) and installed in my truck, with the battery terminals that has a bolt on top ... they were like $2.00 each. If I have time to drop by my local parts store again this week, I'll take pics of the product package and ask them how much they sell the cables for.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own battery cables from 4 gauge wire I got from an audio store and some cold connectors from Same.. (The gold connectors are a little steep you can get some from Autozone if you prefer but I do alot of water crossings and such so I went with the gold as they corrode less...

Its not super compicated to make your own battey cables.. I can take some pics of mine and do a quick how to on making your own cables.. But honestly its not that big a deal...

I made an entire wire harness for all my switches and lights and such .. It looks kinda utilitarian but it works very well..

It is also at the same height as my battery so it is only a problem if the battery goes under.. And in that case .. I am screwed anyway..

Pics to follow...

OK just took these and its dark out so forgive the poor quality...

Here is my battery with the wire panel I made for my lights and such..
You will notice that the connections are staggered.. Thats because the ones on the left are all grounds .. And the ones on the right are all hot..

The wire coming off the right side going forward goes to my winch battey
this is it..

This is my switch panel.. With push button starter..

My Dana 44 front.. Almost ready to go in.

While I was outside I went crazy with the camera.. Here is a 4 wheeler I just finished painting..

My new rims (old cherokee rally wheels ..Notice the 6 lug..Mr. Green

My fuel can for my Dirt bike .. And one of my new motocross boots..

A picture of my truck at night...rofl

And another picture of my RM 250... Vroom vrooom Biotches...

Thats it for pictures tonight...

Anyway.. Back to the original question now that I have picture whored the thread all up.. rofl

Follow the wires into the fuse box and replace each one and put them in a good quality battery connector..

Thats the gold ones that I got at mobile one in the picture but like I said.. You can use any ones you want..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Battery cables Reply with quote

Is the yellow, on your battery cable connections, heat-shrink tubing or something?
I take it you bought copper connectors and crimped them onto the wire and then covered them with the tubing, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that 44 is a passenger side pumkin? how are you gonna get it to mount to your drver side 261?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup heatshrink... Its driver drop just upside down.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well THAT is interesting! ive seen dana 60s maybe 44s with a passenger side drop.... could ya jus flip that sob? hmmmm
Brad S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be the type of wire I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-4-AWG-Gauge-Power-Wire-2058-Strands-OFC-Cable_W0QQitemZ220080992543QQihZ012QQcategoryZ32810QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cannot flip an axle that passneger drop and use it on driver drop..

It will make the gear run backwards and they will not last long like that.

I wont say that this is the wire you need.. (I was wiring an amp in my dd and in my buddys ride and I bought a spool of that 4gauge wire so I just used what I had..

You can buy that or you can get wire from where ever you want..

It is however readily available and it looks cool..LOL..

Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what my cables look like after I pulled them from my ZJ.
I took them to a local hack shop and the guys there said that the cable looked like 6 gauge (uncommon?)
Does anyone know what the two insulator ends are? The one that attaches to the starter is on the left, and the alternator is on the right. Is there anything special about these?

I'm beginning to wonder if I can do this job. These cables seem to be a bit 'screwy' in the first place...

Any helpful advice now?
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure its just a junction where it goes from 6 gauge to 8 gauge..

IT is hard to bend the 6 guage into a small corner like on the starter.

LIke I said .. I used 4 gauge wire and I used sound wire because its low loss and low noise.

Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I broke down and purchased the cables through the dealer. I have been really busy with work and college classes right now, so I didn't think that I would have time to try and make my own.

Thanks Carl and everyone for your help, I appreciate it.

----

I took off my front bumper while I was working on the cables because I had noticed some oil leaking from the front end. I found that my tranny cooler on the front of the radiator had two 90 degree rubber hoses attaching it to the cooler lines. These hoses were covered in oil and there was a lot of oil all over the front of the radiator. I pulled them off, got some free tranny cooler hose from the local parts guy instead of buying the parts, cut my own lengths, cleaned it all up and put it all back together.
Works great Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy. your rig at night is beautiful. my jeep is all black also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: