Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird start up noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
94BGCherokee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Weird start up noise Reply with quote

94 cherokee 168000 miles. When i start the car whent its astro cold, like 20 degrees or below, I get this loud wiining sound from under the hood, almost sounds like a whirring. It is intermittent when its cold when i let it warm up, i can hear it inside my house. Im thiniking its p/s considering the water pump is new, the alternator charge is fine, and the a\c sounds great(stethescope). and since its hard to turn the wheel when you first start it, thats what makes me think thats what it is. Not like its getting worse just an annoying sound. Any Ideas if it is P/S, just wait till it goes out, is there any maintainence I can do on it? Idler pulley has been replaced as well. Belt is new, its not slipping ive checked that. P/s it not leaking and its full, so i have no idea. Input and help is greatly appreciated, thanks for looking.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Sounds like the p/s pump to me. I had an 86 that made the same noise. Sometimes the fluid would spray out the cap. I changed pretty much everything in the p/s line and it still happened so I just ignored it. Maybe I should have stayed away from rebuilds.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enough tension on your serpentine belt?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does that as well its just the serpentine belt ( it's adjusted properly i used a fancy tool for it ) im sure it would go away with a new belt in my case. i have just learned to live with it .

check your belt out first . condition and how tight it is
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: