Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improving Fuel Economy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Improving Fuel Economy Reply with quote

Can anyone give detail information to how I can better maintain/upgrade my car to improve fuel consumption? I have tried doing the following:

-using synthetic engine oil
-gapping spark plugs correctly
-add oil stablizer (Lucas)
-added fuel injectior cleaner (Lucas)
-flushed throttle body
-engine flushed
-upgraded air filter to K&N

what else can you recommend? I have a 100,000+ miles 4x4 full-time and my avg. fuel economy on the computer don't get any better than 13.7mpg.

Thanks for your input. Please correct me if you detect any errors, I'm not mechanically inclined.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive like you have an egg between your right foot and the gas pedal.
nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the input ehirner.

For normal city driving, I keep my rpm under 2,000 with all gears. On highway, I try to stay between 60-70 with frequent use of cruise control.

I also keep my tire inflated to about 42psi cold.
cherokeeonly425

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i currently have 179xxx miles with 4x4 part time. i get 14.5-15.0 nothing more or nothing less usually. i use lucas oil and valvoline high milage oil.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nori wrote:
For normal city driving, I keep my rpm under 2,000 with all gears. On highway, I try to stay between 60-70 with frequent use of cruise control.

Try keeping the RPMs up around 2500-3000. See what gets ya. Down too low in the RPM range, the engine doesn't work as efficiently as it does up higher.
nori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. i'll try that and see if the computer tells me any more than 13.7mpg avg. with my usual route.
nori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting alot better now after doing all those hard work...

17.1mpg avg from 13.7mpg. Very Happy holy difference, my car runs so good now.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is the lucas treatment all its cracked up to be? i run royal purple synthetic oil ... there is some pretty good stuff said bout it.. id also add an exhaust system.. i went the poor man route and took off my exhuast before the cat and put a cherry bomb turbo muffler not glass pack there is a diff., it made her sound SO much better.. im savin for some headers and then ill go flowmaster mufflers.. this will improve fuel economy.. as will msd ignition, the whole sha bang coil ignition bigger wires better plugs gapped correctly as you mentioned.. change the tranny fluid and tcase fluid and both diffs new gear oil (royal pruple boasts a gain in 20 hsp if used in the diffs engine tranny and maybe radiator ).. also id say change your tcase... im hunting my next one down but im almost positive you get better gas milage in 2 wheel as oppose to all wheel.. fuel filter all your gaskets.. thats what im doin... and also a mopar perfomance pcm to make your engine utilize the upgrades better... aside from that id say internal engine work...

i dont have all of that done yet but my computer says i get a total average of 6.6mpg Finger id say those things really dont know shit. i probably get any where from 10-20 deppending on how i drive hope i helped a lil bit instead of jus stating the obvious like i think i did... Razz
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by "flushed the engine"? radiator flush? id also reccomend taking off your clutch fan.. if you got one im not sure bout 95 i know my 93 had one.. install an electric fan if you do have a clutch fan.. the fan strains your engine so when you go to electric it frees up your engine a lil bit and adds about 20 horsees and gives you complete control...its very easy and you can get one for under 20 from a u pull for taurus.. let me know if you need help.. the write ups i read werent extensive enough for me cuz im weetaded and need it laid out with a picture like you did for the sensor Very Happy im tryn to figure out a cowl induction type thing for the ZJ similar to the one in the TECH section here for i believe a tj... i think this will improve fuel economy too... OH YA also a throttle body spacer... helps a lil bit.. a lil bit plus a lil bit can go a long way na mean?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a big in depth talk with a tech who works for chevron who told me that the lucas oil additives are pretty much just bleach , they are sorta like a band aid but can really mess up your oil . basically he told me to steer clear of it .

p.s he wasn't making a sale
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... i was kinda thinkn bout grabbing some... but.. na i think ill just stick with the royal purple... at what 7.50 a qt im sure its plenty good with out lucas's patent idea.... doesnt it say it can go in the engine for oil additive and ALSO the gas tank for a fuel additive? Shocked that sounded a bit odd to me..... thanks for the input brad
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put some ATF in the tank next time you fill up, not much half a quart or so, make sure you at least get 3/4 tank though. That will help with the fuel system
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATF? ill check it out...is it an octain boost or what? i guess i find out soon enough next fill up
nori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
what do you mean by "flushed the engine"?

Sorry for the delayed response Dark. Engine flush meaning I put this additive into my engine that *supposedly* gets all the sludge out when draining oil the next time.

Quote:
BG Quick Clean for Engines
BG Quick Clean for Engines restores power and performance to your engine by rapidly and effectively removing accumulated deposits that form in the piston ring belt, hydraulic lifters, rocker arms and other critical engine parts. Add BG Quick Clean to the oil, then run engine for 10-15 minutes. When the old oil is drained, contaminants are quickly flushed away.

I don't know if it was a good idea because I've read some conflicting stories about flushing engine, but my car was starting to show some sign of poor performance and I just took the risk. I should ask before I put anything into the engine next time huh...
shock

DankNesS wrote:
let me know if you need help.. the write ups i read werent extensive enough for me cuz im weetaded and need it laid out with a picture like you did for the sensor Very Happy

Sure do.. anything to improve my MPG back to it's original condition. Pictures speaks louder huh.. hehehe I wish my Hayne's manual is that clear.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know.. that thing can be ver vague sometimes.. like ya take this off. then do this.. but what if it dont come off? ha ha its saved me and also made me at times nd made me want to thro it in the lake in others.

jus let me know when your gonna do what upgrade \.. they are all prett easy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: