Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going 8 inches + need some advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
935speedxj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: going 8 inches + need some advice Reply with quote

hi im going from 5 inches on 31 ' s to 8-10 inches on 38's i was wondering if 373 gears would be good enough or di i need to move up even more i have a ax15 tranny an 231 case an my rear 44 an dana 30 have 307's if someone can give m a heads up that would help out alot on what gears i should be lookin at to get ty guys ~phil Mr. Green
93 cherokee 9 inch lift 6.5inch leafs 1.5 inch shackles 8.5 inch coils an lca's ..,jks disco's,front an rear steel tube bumpers ,an roof rack that i welded up an a bunch of metal that i cut off.... not to mention my wanna be wrangler doors ....
c130herc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a minimum of 5.13. You will also need to get alloy shafts if you have not done so already. Here is a gear/RPM chart.
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/rpmchart.html

If you have 3.07 now then you will also need new carriers for the higher gears unless you go with a full Detroit locker since it comes with its own carrier.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the rears can handle the new gear ratio, some of the smaller rears have limitations on them
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you put 38"'s on your jeep you are going to need a minimum of dana 60 or ford 9" .

i agree with the 5.13 , and i would go for a detroit locker like c130herc said .

im not to sure how your tranny and t-case will hold up with that big of tire , even if you gear it . have you upgraded your brakes yet ?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i also would recommend 3/4 ton running gear, as for the brakes you could use those that come on whatever rears you run, if you go the 3/4 ton route
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty for the info guys ... i was tryin to keep my axles i have in it now wich is dana 44 rear an stock dana 30 front .... i know i have to regear so what is the biggest tire you guys recoment that i stick with for the axles i have would 35's or 36's be to big to run with my axles an i was wondering if i was lookin for a axle to put up front with lockin hubs that already has the hubs what would work the best?? an possibally keep the 44 i got in the rear? an i already got the springs an shackles in the rear ... it nets like 9 inches about.. an i was drivein home today an what i think to be my slave cylinder/throwout bearing started to go squeels when i press on the gas an sounds like a playing card stuck in a kids bike spoke when i let off the gas when i dump in the clutch it all goes away tho ... i think it is the culperate ..... 200 for the part.. ugh .... its a jeep for sure ...lol... like i mentioned b4 id like to keep the axles i have under it now... Rolling Eyes
93 cherokee 9 inch lift 6.5inch leafs 1.5 inch shackles 8.5 inch coils an lca's ..,jks disco's,front an rear steel tube bumpers ,an roof rack that i welded up an a bunch of metal that i cut off.... not to mention my wanna be wrangler doors ....
c130herc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with 35” and 5.13 gears but I do not know if the D30 will go up to 5.13. Randy’s ring and pinion only sells up to 4.88. This would be fine for 35” tires.
As far as an axel for the front I went with a 1980 Waggy D44. It needs the cast spring perch on the drivers side cut/grind off then a coil spring kit welded on to accept the coils.
The Waggy D44 is a 6 bolt hub but I just swapped it out with mid 80s Dodge Powerwagen hubs and rotors to give it a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern to match my rear Ford 9”.
You can do that then get adapters to drop it down to the 5 x 4.5 pattern. The Waggy D44 is almost the exact same width as your D30 but it is also a low pinion where your D30 is a high pinion.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35" is the max i would go, upgrade the axles in the d30 and you could handle them ok, i wouldnt thrash it all day long tho just to be safe
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: