Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CB RADIOS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atsevis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: CB RADIOS Reply with quote

Hey does anyone have a good cb radio that they would recommend? I was looking at cobra because it seems to be the most popular brand. I really dont know much about them at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobras are good
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra 75WX/ST and a GOOD antenna, something like Firestik II.

2bucks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an ex-over the road truck driver Drake69 is correct a cobra with a good antenea is the way to go. I used a Cobra 29 that was tweeked and peeked. I never had a problem with it.
atsevis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you but why the all in handset? how does the mounting differ from a traditional style.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atsevis wrote:
thank you but why the all in handset? how does the mounting differ from a traditional style.

It's all in one...that's the only thing it offers. Stick with the traditional radio and separate microphone. Their performance is way better for a fraction of the cost, and you can do upgrades with most of them...not so with the 75 series. Cobra is okay, preferably the 25LTD or better, and I'm partial to Unidens myself. Knowing a bit of their history, I can tell you they've been around awhile. Any of the Pro series is decent for wheelin' and general use. The Elite series being even better. That'll depend more on how much room you might want to dedicate for the radio equipment...and etc. Very Happy

For the antenna, look around. Lots better performers than the Firestiks for the money. One of them being the Everhardt TSM series Tiger. Way better performance for about the same money. Wink

Good luck.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Uniden, it does the job for me.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Uniden 500 PRO and a Cobra 19, both have been tweeked to transmit 50 watts without an amp.
The 500 and the 19 are small simple radios, so they can be mounted just about anywhere and are easy to use.
If you tweek the Cobra, it will need a lot of tuning to get it to work right (at least mine did) and you have to take it to a CB shop to have it re-tuned every once in a while.
I prefer the Uniden radio, simply because I don't need to take it to the shop to have it tuned all the time, and it feels more robust.

As for antennas, stay away from fiberglass wire wound antennas, like the Firestick or Wilson. Wilson does make a very good Mag base steel whip antenna, but if you have a Wrangler, it won't work.
The antenna I use is a Radio Shack "loaded steel Whip" antenna that came in a kit with the Coax (witch was trash), antenna and a mirror mount.

Once you get your radio setup, you'll need to tune it. You can have your local CB shop do it for you, or you can buy a SWR meter and do it your self. I did the tuning myself with the help of some "radio geeks" at my work and tuned the SWR to 1.5, witch is very good (Geeks are good for something after all).

Your transmission range will vary, Obstructions such as, buildings, mountains, basicly anything taller than your antenna is the biggest killer of trasmission range. If your in the city, 5 to 7 miles is considered good, if your in an open area you may go 10 to 20 miles. I have gone as far as 75 miles, but I was at the top of an 8500 ft. peak (blue ridge, California) and talked to someone on Catilina Island.

I hope this helps, have fun with you CB...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's

Last edited by TJ Apex on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the Cobra 75 due to in-cab mounting options, so it's really a matter of choice.

AZ TJ-KJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra is an outstanding radio... stop by a CB shop and have them peak and tune it. Also get a Road King mike and a Fire Stik antenna.

A Cobra 29LTD Classic mounted in my TJ with a Garmin c530 GPS unit on top...

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 29 nw ltd classic , the only complaint is how friggen big it is . but it works great
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing a Cobra 19DX with a Wilson antenna on my Wrangler.
I'll let you know how it goes.
By the way, I'm new to this board. (This is my first post)
I have three Cobras and this one is the smallest, which is why I'm using it.
Space is at a premium in these things, as we all know. There may be better, but I'll be happy with this one. The big one will go into the Ram and the third will probably go into my Daytona. Very Happy
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet , welcome to the forum .

i still haven't put my 29 in my jeep , its just so dahm big i have been lazy and haven't built a mount . plus i bought a dirt bike so im sorta ignoring the jeep .
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go with the biggest of the three radios because it has weather bands, which the other two did not.
And except for tapping into a 12v source that goes dead everytime I hit the brakes Rolling Eyes it works great. I didn't bother to do the SWR test yet, but I was probably 7 miles away from the I-280 bridge and was picking up chatter from truckers crossing it.
Wonder if I just got lucky.
If I need to, I'll adjust it when I get to Arkansas. For now, it's fine.

For those wondering where to mount an antenna on your wrangler without cutting the sheetmetal......may I suggest what I did?

I made up a bracket out of plate steel and square tube steel (overkill though) and the plate fits over the three studs that hold the spare on,outside the rim.
It raises the antenna high (about as high as would be if cutting into the quarter panel, where most suggest), makes a good ground and looks good too!!

Another place may be on the spare tire mount itself, between the tire and the rear door. It looks like an antenna would 'just' fit....even with 11.5" tires mounted. I just didn't wanna cut into the bracket.

I'll post pics later. I'm going to modify it later to be easier to dis-mount in case of changing a flat. Right now it's kinda time consuming.
In place of square tube.....use a heavy angle bracket. That'll make it easier to remove the antenna wire when needed. (I have it running out the back curtain corner and thru the rim.)

Anybody with any better ideas.....let me know please. This is just what I came up with on short notice.

Gen. TJ
Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... I am a ham operator so I thinking of buying a IC-706 and modify it to include CB (100W... LOL)
But I already have a rig for VHF and UHF... So I donno...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: