Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clunking in the front end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarhead5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Clunking in the front end Reply with quote

First post ever on this site, so please bear with me. I've a 2001 JGC 4WD Laredo with the 4.7. Still currently has the stock suspension. Whenever I go over speed bumps at a slow or moderate speed, I get a distinct clunking sound coming from the front end on the driver's side. Got it up on jack stands last weekend and noticed the boot on my outer tie rod on the driver's side was cracked and moved very freely. I just replaced it (hasn't even been an hour since I got out from under it) and the clunking sound is still present. Anyone ever had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Kinda struggling here... Neutral
jarhead5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, just got it up on jackstands again, checked my ball joints and everything else under there and still no sign of what's making that clunking sound. I'm about to take it in to the shop and let someone else figure it out. If anyone's got any suggestions, let me know.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighten everything you can find, suspension and steering related, on your front end.

How many miles? Is it possible to have dead or dying shocks? Worn shock bushings? Worn control arm bushings? Swaybar links?

Tug and pull on anything suspension or steering related you can find to check for play. Do the 6 and 12, as well as 3 and 9 tests with each wheel to check for anything worn.
jarhead5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the front end. I took it to Big O Tires to get an alignment and to have them check that sound out. They had my rig for three hours and couldn't tell me what it was. They said they checked everything on the front end, including my shocks and control arms. They said I'd need to take it to the dealer. Anyways, next day I take it to Discount Tires to get the tires rotated. I bought 'em there so they do it for free. I get my Jeep back and wouldn't ya know it, no clunking! I drive it around town that day and took it out on some rough, steep forest service roads the next and not a single odd sound. I called Discount Tires between those two trips and the guy that worked on my rig said that one of my coil springs wasn't seeated properly. No real danger of coming out he said, just that the spring was slapping against the axle. Anyone every heard of this? I told the guy I had been under there twice to find that sound. He said that he just happened to notice because he's seen it on other JGC that have had the same problem. Again, anyone else ever heard of this?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...they turn a bit and just pop out of the perches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: