Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scary break incident that has been happening for a while...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: scary break incident that has been happening for a while... Reply with quote

well... it doesnt happen all the time and it isnt even something i could get to happen on command really... today i was waiting to make a turn for way to long so when a lil baby gap opened in traffic i floored it thru 3 lanes making a left turn and having to get across quick and up to speed quick i was pretty much at full throttle.... near 45-50 pretty quick then almost immediately caught a red light so i applied decent pressure to the breakes and the steering wheel started shaking.. some what reminicent of the infamous "death wobble"- from hell might i add.. but not nearly as severe... it seemed breaking power wasnt to great as well but i got it to stop either by applying pressure or maybe a couple pumps... i dunno reaction happened and i jus noted the shakey steering wheel, and maybe poor stoppage. ive had this occure before but took no heed to it cuz i cant get it to do it again.. its similar to when off road and flying and having to break fast... the feeling of no breaks really.. it also seems to only happen directly after FLOORING it full throttle. BUT if im cooking on the free way and i break... its flawless.. as is slamming on em at 35.. so im a lil thrown off here.. im thinkin bout bleeding my breakes and maybe haveing the rear drums looked at.. i cant wait to get an 8.8 with discs sheesh! any ideas are always appreciated Jeep On
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are experiencing is the wonderful world of ABS lag. It happens when eitherdirt or water get trapped between the rotor and the abs sensor..

There are two things you can do.... clean your abs sensors ........ Or disable the abs and rely on good old power brakes...

I chose the later and now when I mash the brakes an amazing thing happens, I stop.... Every time...

Note: It may be illegal to disable abs in your area, if you want to do it anyway,pm me... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drew42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the problem Crying or Very sad .I noticed the same thing , when I washed the truck , when it rains , and the way it is up here now- snow. So water is the culprit. Smile Is there any other way to get around this ? Confused Has not been a real problem Cool , but don't want it to become one Wink .
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, a real quick grammar lesson. The things that make you stop when you're moving are called brakes. When something falls apart, it breaks.

Now, on to the Jeep tech. As far as the shaking of the steering wheel when you applied your brakes, I'd bet either warped rotors (which is kinda hard to do) or uneven cooling over time that has left high spots of brake pad material on your rotors. This occurs when the brakes are hot and you stop, holding the brakes on for long periods of time. It's better to stop short and slowly creep up while you wait for the traffic to move again in order to prevent leaving these deposits. When these deposits are left, they may only be hundredths of an inch and undetectable by us...but under the small tolerances of a disc brake system, you feeling the pulsing and shimmy in the steering, like the rotors are warped.

I would recommend replacing the pads and rotors. You're problem will be gone.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for the grammer lesson!!! you should be my editor? my breaks are fine Razz they are ceramic and recently replaced.. i do wish to upgrade my rotors to slotted type but not at the moment... id have to diagree with you just because this doesnt occur ALL THE TIME. i do actually brake as you described, and every so often directly after i punch it and need to brake for what ever reason my problem occurs.. it is not constant not even doable.. jus every now and then.. im thinkn swamp boy is a lil closer to on track with the abs.. im gonna have to look into getin rid of it.. i hate it off road any way.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
wow thanks for the grammer lesson!!! you should be my editor? my breaks are fine Razz they are ceramic and recently replaced.. i do wish to upgrade my rotors to slotted type but not at the moment... id have to diagree with you just because this doesnt occur ALL THE TIME. i do actually brake as you described, and every so often directly after i punch it and need to brake for what ever reason my problem occurs.. it is not constant not even doable.. jus every now and then.. im thinkn swamp boy is a lil closer to on track with the abs.. im gonna have to look into getin rid of it.. i hate it off road any way.

ABS is typically a good thing...although I can't say I've ever felt it's effects offroad as my vehicle never had it. Those grocery getters have to be much more road friendly for the soccer moms. Very Happy

The uneven cooling and deposited material occurs quite frequently. For the cost of rotors, I'd get a new pair before ripping out my ABS.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you describe how you drive I would also say you warped the rotors. The key words being "when I punch it". I take it that you speed up quickly, then mash the brakes to stop. Like ehirner said that is what causes rotors to warp.

but since you dont like the ABS anyway and your goin to remove it. I say if the problem is still there, then you have warped your rotors
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's definitely not hard to warp rotor's on a grand Cherokee , and the cheep replacements are made of recycled steel (doesn't help) i would also recommend ether turning your rotor's or replacing them (its a better idea to replace them 1. there probably not in spec 2. it will cost you about the same , i would only turn mine cuz i can do it for free )

or your abs could be your culprit . who knows
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm... did he call my jeep a grocery getter? for soccer moms??i definately dont drive a liberty rofl ... i dont want to start a fight but i konw a lot of people that consider the TJ a girl jeep Finger ... and i do see A WHOLE LOTA young high school jail baters rollin around in TJs..... a lot more then soccer moms with a ZJ... they got libertys and commanders.. what is it compass?

any way.. thanks for the input.. i think i may have a mild case of warped rotors... it isnt consistant is my only complaint.. so i dunno.. i definately am not down with the no brake feeling when im flying down a dirt road and hit a hair pin right either.. SO i think i will do both.. new rotors and rip out the abs.. im not to sure on how to get rid of the abs tho im gonna have to do some research i suppose
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ehirner i really really got to know... please feel at ease and answer truthfully... it is no big deal and nothing to be ashamed of.. we all have jeeps and are all on the same team.. i dont really approve of chevy or ford powered jeeps... but it least thier have jeep so they kinda count to.... point is there is no need to be embarased or in denial even.. you can admit it here and we can help you thru it.. ther is definately other ways for you to get there>>>>>> I GOT TO JUST GOT TO KNOW...

ARE YOU JEALOUS OF MY 318 V8 MOPAR POWER???

its ok to be open about it.. we all want more power.. i just want a lot less then you do rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
For the cost of rotors, I'd get a new pair before ripping out my ABS.

X3 or 4 (lost count)
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes so id have to pay to take out my abs.... ya no i dont like the sound of that.. i was thinkn like rip it out wa la..... so ya rotors are definately what im gonna go with... any one reccomend a good slotted rotor.. maybe racing rotor.. or something that stand up well to heat and dirt/ mud/ water.. and at not
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:

ARE YOU JEALOUS OF MY 318 V8 MOPAR POWER???

No.

DankNesS wrote:
Rolling Eyes so id have to pay to take out my abs.... ya no i dont like the sound of that.. i was thinkn like rip it out wa la..... so ya rotors are definately what im gonna go with... any one reccomend a good slotted rotor.. maybe racing rotor.. or something that stand up well to heat and dirt/ mud/ water.. and at not

I wouldn't recommend slotted, drilled, etc rotors. The open spaces from the slots and holes do nothing but trap dirt and debris once you venture offroad. Pick up a set of plain jane rotors from your local auto parts store. You should be out the door for roughly $40. Get some new pads and bed them properly following this writeup.

http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/159.htm
The break-in/bedding procedure is at the bottom.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? i never thought of it like that.. so jus stick with the shitty rotors that are easy to worp? hmmm... maybe i will rip out the abs as well.... i wonder how hard that is
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
really? i never thought of it like that.. so jus stick with the shitty rotors that are easy to worp? hmmm... maybe i will rip out the abs as well.... i wonder how hard that is

Those fancy rotors will warp easier....there's less metal in them to absorb the heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: