Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i keep the harmonic balancer still??????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: how do i keep the harmonic balancer still?????? Reply with quote

im trying to change my front gaskets: timing chain gasket and crank shaft seal and water pump gaskets... but im having a problem gettin the nut off of the harmonic balancer.. in the haynes it says take off the starter and have a friend hold a long screw driver in the gear teeth.. i dont really get what or how.... i really need to get it off so i can putt it back together.. i got work at 7am tomarrow so im in a race against time.. im fight it out i hope someone moseys by and has done this before i do somthin irrational... ha ha
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impact gun or put a bar in the flywheel (in the teeth ) to stop it from turning . put a bar or big screw driver on any gear to keep the crankshaft from turning . haynes is 100% correct , it is exactly what you should do .
Johnny V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I removed the harmonic balancer on my '89 XJ I used a breaker bar with proper socket and wedged the handle of the breaker bar under the jeep's frame. I goosed the key so the starter just turned over a little and walla....loose bolt.

If I remember correctly the harmonic balancer rotates clockwise as you look at it, so the breaker bar handle either goes under the passenger side frame or on top the driver's side frame area.

This works 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: