Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do i need a rear sway bar?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: do i need a rear sway bar? Reply with quote

ive been jumpn from section to section lately and it seems i keep reading bout cherokees with no rear sway bar.. or people taking em off when adding a lift.. i think mine is probably making some rakit so im about to just rip it off.. im actually really hoping that i can so unless anyone has any info on why not im gonna take it off and see how it operates in the city and off road
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take it off - you have coil springs in the back instead of leaf springs like the XJ. If you do any street driving, you'll be in a world or hurt the first time you swerve to avoid some idiot who pulls out in front of you.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know...can i upgrade it or anything? the bushings are all in poor shape.. is there an after market one for lifted jeeps?
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
good to know...can i upgrade it or anything? the bushings are all in poor shape.. is there an after market one for lifted jeeps?

Just recently, some aftermarket bars came on the market. The bar itself doesn't really wear out. Get yourself some new bushings for the bar mounts and the links.

A rear swaybar is a very good idea to keep around on a coil sprung vehicle. Leaf springs are more stable laterally and don't need them as much.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL.. i jus took it off. i will see how she rides in a while im trying to get my rear main oil seal changed but am hung up on the last step... after i get it back together ill report on how she handles on and off road... thanks for the input
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't go around any corner's above 5 mph . bushings are cheep for sway bars and easy to install .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ill let you konw how she handles... ill be hitting corners a lot faster then 5 mph too... thanks for the warning tho!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear sway bar was such a fn pain in my ass to get off... it will have to ride pretty crappy for me to re-install it... nothing short of my axle popping off Mr. Green
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how it works out.....i know i am intrested to see the out come.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 6.5" of lift and 35's and havent had the rear sway bar on mine in years.. I tossed it way back when I had a budget boost and 31's.. Mr. Green

I have never had any problems but I am well aware that my rig is not a sports car and will not hug the turns... rofl

That said.. I do drive it just like I would drive any other vehicle.. It doesnt lean over extremely .. Its just not that big a deal.. I have gone down the Intersate at 90 without a hint of a problem and I go off exit ramps just like I would in any other vehicle.. (Except my wifes Mini that thing is awesome.. rofl )

You have to be aware that its not there but If you are driving a lifted Jeep around corners fast you probably are going to be a candidate for the 2007 Darwin award..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. i have had an annoying noise in the rear end for a while.. do to i believe some worn out bushings on the sway bar.. any how.. its off now and the sound is gone, one of em at least ha! i really cant even feel that much of a difference... i took a corner at 25 and speed bumps.. the kinda big ones at 30 like a breeze.. i think it actually rides better!!! im glad i got rid of that ugly thing. i cant speak for all makes and models as some people say it is way dangerous or what ever but my 93 zj with 3.5 inch lift rides great with 31 x 10.5's and no sway bar in the back!! Mr. Green
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill think about it...il; go try with out front first.
TexAgs08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be cocky or anything, but i have no rear sway and a disconnected fron all of the time, i just never installed my quick disco kit...
I have never had a prob with excessive lean...
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexAgs08 wrote:
Not to be cocky or anything, but i have no rear sway and a disconnected fron all of the time, i just never installed my quick disco kit...
I have never had a prob with excessive lean...

You have leaf springs in the back. How many times does it need to be explained that leaf springs resist body sway unlike coil springs?
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u got leafs then u got virtualy no problens as compared 2 coils.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: