Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilding a V-8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a V-8? Reply with quote

This post kind of goes along with my other post "Full Throttle Death".
I have recently acquired a MOPAR performance parts catalog. I was looking through it and saw some cast crankshafts- my 98 5.9 ZJ currently has a Bore of 4.00 and a crankshaft with the stroke being 3.58 equating to 360 inches. In the catalog there is a crankshaft offering a 4.00 stroke which would put me at 402 inches (Part # P5007258). This would require clearancing on the block and custom pistons. I would definately farm this out to an engine rebuilder. Does anyone have experience rebuilding engines? Now might not be the time for a total rebuild(I may wait until I get another 25,000 miles on it.) But I have read in JP magazine (the article was pertaining to AMC engines) that if you are rebuilding an engine the cost is about the same since the engine is going to completly disassembled anyway. Does anyone know about any overheating or any other problems I may run into if I do this? On the Crate engine offerings in the catalog built like this there is always the disclamer "not for use with vehicles with air conditioning". Those kind of statements trouble me but I would really like to have a "Stroker engine" and get one of those stickers like I see on the Dodge pickups with the Cummins diesel that say: "Yeah, It'll outrun your HEMI".
Any Help Would Be Appreciated
Nixt
P.S. If you have the 318 V-8, on the chart in the catalog it says that if you install the 4.00 crank you can get 384 cubic inches. All of this in the current Mopar performance catalog page 176.

Edit: I know that the Jeep and Dodge engines are essentially the same small block; but are the Jeep offerings called Magnum as well? The part numbers are the same but the labels in the catalog referring to the engines are different. I am asking this because I know that GM small blocks are the same but the truck engines are referred to as VORTEC while the car engines use the LS1/2/6 nomanclature and this has to do with the ability for displacement on demand feature.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used dodge Magnum parts when I rebuilt mine.. It worked fine..

Right now I have Ford Push rods and Chevy rockers in my engine and a Jegs bracket that makes them work in my engine... Mr. Green

Crane Chromoly Push rods.. (for Ford )Jegs part # 270-36621-16

Crane Aluminum Rockers #270-11746-16

And the new Guide rail that allows me to use the Rockers instead of of the crappy Dodge rockes I had... Mr. Green

Guide plate kit # 270-36655-19

So anyway.. The point is.. The Dodge 5.2 parts for the truck will fit the Grand Cherokee 5.2.... No problem...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: rebuilding a v-8 Reply with quote

Swampy,
When you rebuilt your 5.2, you left your bore and stroke the same? I had always read that if you are rebuilding, go as big as possible because the parts are going to cost about the same anyway. I may wait and just rebuild mine after I find a small turbo/supercharger and intercooler to install on it. I only want about 6 lbs of boost so that I can effectively run a methanol injection kit on it. Since the methanol that is injected is just windshield wiper fluid, it would make everything be a hell of a lot cheaper, more durable, and give around 70-100 more horses at the push of a button without the dangers of detonation that come with nitrous. Furthermore, the supercharger would give me about 40% more power. Then, I could get one of those stickers like the ford&GM guys have that says: "Yeah, it'll outrun your hemi".
nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl
I want to get all that work done now just so I can get that sticker.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my cylinders.. And since they where not showing any wear I decided not to bore it..

Also.. Boring an engine ..Especially boring to the max is going to bite you in the ass in the long run because you will thin out the cylinder walls and make the engine more prone to overheating.. I dont know about you but I overheat plenty without that help.. Mr. Green

Also ..In the future if I chose to rebuild it again I can bore then... If I had bored this time (when I didnt need to ) I wouldnt be able to in the future...

Essentially making my engine disposable...

I have built alot of engines and have friends that work in a speed shop..(Hence the crazy parts I use...) anyway.. It is usually better to only bore as much as absolutly needed. You can go .30 over and then might be able to go .30 over again.. But Like I said...I didnt need to bore so I just honed them and went with the dodge stuff..

If you check the specs the Dodge 5.2 has more HP and torque than the Jeep engine.. I think thats why the part # are different..

I have almost all Dodge truck stuff now.. (Except the Crane torqer cam..)

and My engine is putting out some serious HP.. (About 350 at the crank..) I need to get on one of those rolling Dynos so that I can get a realistic number at the wheel... But I am not building a race truck so its not that important..

Hope that all of this serves a purpose other than lulling you to sleep.. rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkin about the zj engines what all would a new cam do for the I6 motor? im just curious lookin for more power and torque
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a V-8 Reply with quote

Swampy,
I wasn't thinking so much along the lines of boring out the cylinders, but rather replacing the crankshaft and increasing the stroke. I've got the 2005 Mopar performance parts catalog and on page 176 it has a bore vs stroke chart (for the Magnum small block) that shows displacement. According to the chart, if you have the 318/5.2 you would have a 3.91 bore and a 3.31 stroke. The two crankshafts on the same page offer a 3.58 stroke and a 4.00 stroke. If you used these mopar crankshafts you could either have a displacement of 344 or 384 cubic inches. I have the 360/5.9 and it has a 4.00 bore and a 3.58 stroke. If I ponied up to the 4.00 stroke (for a technically "square" engine) I could attain 402 cubic inches without boring. Of course putting in either of these performance crankshafts would require other parts like new pistons. Since the 5.9 already has the 3.58 stroke I could only step up to the 4.00 stroke crankshaft and 402 ci. Like you said, boring out the engine can cause heating issues due to less material between cylinders- but will increasing the stroke result in the same problem? Or an entirely new set of problems?
nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
crackerman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: good link for mopar v8's Reply with quote

Great site for mopar V8 info.

Magnum Engines (318/5.2, 360/5.9, 3.9 V6)
The main differences to the "new" 5.2l and the "old" 318 are in the block and heads. The new block affords roller lifters, yes it has changed lifter agle for same, and has bosses for the lifter retainers. The heads are high-swirl / high-flow heads, though not the old "X" heads of the 340, and obviously the Magnum has that cool intake. the "new" 5.2l came about in changes made in '87, which were fully incorporated by '90. The changes were made to facilitate a more common creation of the 5.9, 5.2, and 3.9 V6 engines....

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey nixt, im gona do a rebuild on my 360 5.9 in a about 2 or 3 months now, let me know what kind of stuff u find, im planing on boreing out a little because i KNOW that my walls are scrached, but if i can get a 4 inch stroke with that sounds awsome. hit me up with part numbers and websites, ill try the stuff out when i do my rebuild.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: