Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp gauge not working...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize you were talking about degrees C. In that case, your temp is correct and your oil pressure is good for being warmed up. Once warmed up the pressure should be at about a quarter on the hightway ~2000 RPM.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eff the stock gauges buy a set of autometer temp gagues and slap em on you apillar or go under dash like i did Very Happy i found out after 3 temp sending units it was a bad gauge so i unscrewed the light bulb and keep a check on my gauges plus it looks cooler Cool Cool also while were on the subject replace tour theromstat after a while they go bad not wanting to open up as easy causing a little heating issues learned the hard way on I-75

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm looking at.... Where is the temp sender on the motor?

Now, what I'm holding is what I believe to be the temp sender wire. But I just do not see where the hell it goes.

Also, in this picture, to the immediate left of the head bolt, is that an alignment pin for the head? Or should something be there?

Thanks for the help guys.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, I just ran out and checked mine. On the 99 it's attached to the thermostat housing. On the 88 it's right where that "pin" is, I think it's a plug on yours. I took some pics so you could see.

matt the pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... interesting... Cause on my pictures, where that hole is.... it doesn't even look like a temp sender is there. I see no part of the temp sender (in the link in the original post)... I'm tempted just to go throw an aftermarket gauge on it. But then the question of where I should plumb the aftermarket gauge into arises.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell in your pic, is that plug an allen or torx head? If so I would remove it and see if there is coolant under it.
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
I can't tell in your pic, is that plug an allen or torx head? If so I would remove it and see if there is coolant under it.

I'm lost. what plug? Sorry about that.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one. Maybe it's not a plug? That's exactly where mine goes into the head.

matt the pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.. Alright so I'm definately missing something there. Thanks for the info.
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.... so.... A simple problem never stays a simple problem for me. Story of my life. Anyway, today the project was to drill and use an easy-out to get the old temp sender out of the head. I've done countless screw extractions. No big deal........ Haha, yeah right. First off I have to remove the whole wiring harness from the fuel rail and get it out of the way just so I have room, not to mention some vac lines also. Not really a big deal though. I drill it out, the easy out is going and starts gripping onto the screw however no matter how hard I twist on the easy out, the old temp sender will not budge. Finally the easy out end up snapping off leaving half the easy out inside the hole. There's no drilling out an easy out because it's tempered steel and hard as hell metal. Sooooo ok... Because of the location of where I have to drill and even with everything out of the way I can't get a perfectly straight angle on it and it will destroy every drill bit I have. This thing needs to be running by tomorrow. So I said screw it and slapped some jb weld on top of it to seal it all up (I know I know, stupid, but I will say why I did that in a minute). I put everything back together and notice my radiator is leaking out of an old patch on the side tank. Great... what else now? I pulled the radiator (which I'm sure you know is kind of a pain in the ass) and counted not 1, not 2, not 3 or 4, but 6 FREAKING PATCHES!!!2 one each end tank and 4 in the fins. What the hell? This just adds to the fact that everything that was replaced/fix previous to me owning this jeep has been completely half assed. This thing is totally redneck engineered and I'm surprised it doesn't catch on fire the way some of the wiring has been done on this truck. So, I ordered a new radiator for it, I'm installing it saturday, and putting it up for sale and buying my boss's '95 Cherokee w/115k miles. It's in better condition than mine and I trust that truck more than I do mine.

/rant

I typed up more than I expected... ahhh just had to let it out. haha
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some times if you melt a candle on the threads that you are about to easy out it will do some good , it lubricates the threads .

you could of tried a left hand drill bit , or put some heat to it .

good ol JB weld , fixes most problems . and if it doesnt fix the problem a second coat will Smile

did you use flute style easy outs or screw style ? the screw type work better but are more expensive .
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
some times if you melt a candle on the threads that you are about to easy out it will do some good , it lubricates the threads .

you could of tried a left hand drill bit , or put some heat to it .

good ol JB weld , fixes most problems . and if it doesnt fix the problem a second coat will Smile

did you use flute style easy outs or screw style ? the screw type work better but are more expensive .

I didn't have any problem gripping the old threads, they just refused to unscrew. The type of easy out, I have no clue. Neither of my sets say what type they are. One set, the "threads" on the easyout are spaced much farther apart from each other then the other set of easyouts, where they are more like a fine thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: